Home Open Account Help 235 users online

Passenger Trains > Photographs of LIRR M3s on Borrowed Time

Date: 06/16/19 10:01
Photographs of LIRR M3s on Borrowed Time
Author: Passfanatic

Even though the date of the M9s entering revenue service have been pushed back, that would give me some more time to photograph the LIRR M3s before they are retired. I have been doing that for a few months. Here is the first group of pictures, all taken on 4/29/19: 1. Babylon Bound train bypassing Woodside Station 2. Westbound on the Main Line passing Bellerose, NY Station 3. The same consist in photograph two heading away from me toward its next stop at Jamaica, Queens.

Date: 06/16/19 10:05
Re: Photographs of LIRR M3s on Borrowed Time

4. Westbound Hempstead Line train heading to NYC approaching Bellerose Station.
5. M3 # 9804 brings up the rear of its consist as it departs Bellerose Station heading west.
6. Eastbound M3 Set deadheading back to a yard on Long Island.

Date: 06/16/19 10:05
Author: joemvcnj

The MDBF of the Metro North ones are quadruple that of the LIRR's.
The Budd designed M-1 to M-6 is a better looking car than the M-7 to M-9.

Date: 06/16/19 10:11

7. Westbound M3 Set passing Floral Park Station heading to New York Penn Station
8. Eastbound Huntington bound M3 Set departing Mineola Station. On the left of the photograph is Nassau Tower which might not be around forever as part of the Main Line 3rd Track project between Floral Park and Hicksville. The grade crossing where I took this photograph from, Main Street, is also going to be eliminated along with the other grade crossings between Floral Park and Hicksville.

Date: 06/16/19 10:21

On 5/7/19, I decided to search for M3s on the Pt. Washington Line and did very well. Here is a list of pictures.
1. LIRR Train # 410 arrives into Flushing Main Street Station bound for Pt. Washington.
2. LIRR Train # 412 approaches Douglaston Station bound for Pt. Washington with a 12 car M3 set.
3. A westbound M3 consist slows down for the Manhasset Station bound for New York Penn Station.

Date: 06/16/19 10:25

4. M3 at Manhasset Station heading away from me.
5. Eastbound M3 Set approaching Manhasset Station heading to Port Washington.
6. An eastbound M3 set goes over the Manhasset viaduct.

Date: 06/16/19 10:29

7. A long LIRR M3 Set rest between runs at Pt. Washington Terminal.
8. A westbound M3 Set arrives into Great Neck Station.
9. Eastbound M3 Set heading away from me at Great Neck Station.

Date: 06/16/19 10:31

Shots 8 and 9 along the Pt. Washington Line were taken at Bayside Station.

Date: 06/16/19 10:36

On 5/31/19, I spent the evening rush hour at Valley Stream Station and got to see a few M3 sets but they were all running on the Babylon Line. Shots 1 and 2 were taken of the same eastbound M3 consist heading to Babylon Line Station points.

Date: 06/16/19 10:46

3. A westbound M3 consist heading from Babylon to NY Penn Station bypasses Valley Stream Station. In the background is the old Valley Tower and also where the Far Rockaway Branch leaves the Babylon Line.
4. Eastbound M3 Set passing Valley Stream Station.
5. Just before the sun goes into the clouds, an eastbound M3 set heading to Babylon passes Valley Stream.

Date: 06/16/19 13:43
Author: stash

I like the shot of Nassau tower with the grade crossing, which as you stated, are on borrowed time.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/17/19 06:44
Author: toledopatch

Passfanatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 3. A westbound M3 consist heading from Babylon to
> NY Penn Station bypasses Valley Stream Station. In
> the background is the old Valley Tower and also
> where the Far Rockaway Branch leaves the Babylon
> Line.

Has VALLEY been automated? When I was there last summer I thought the tower was still in use.

Date: 06/17/19 07:11
Author: joemvcnj

It was automated and de-staffed some years ago. At the same time, they installed a block signal system and ASC on the West Hempstead Branch. The 2 southern tracks through Valley Stream, serving the station and into Jamaica are actually the eastern half of the Atlantic Branch. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/19 07:12 by joemvcnj.

Date: 06/17/19 16:10
Author: PasadenaSub

Neat shots from a lot of stations and vantage points many of us will never get to.  Appreciate the pictures from Long Island.

Rich

Date: 06/18/19 18:23

Thanks! Valley Stream is an interesting station to view the pm rush hour. While I didn't see a single diesel train pass by Valley Stream, it was interesting watching what the LIRR is great with-running twelve car MU sets, especially during the rush hour.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0891 seconds