Home Open Account Help 373 users online

Passenger Trains > Mobile service local paper

Date: 07/08/19 07:07
Mobile service local paper
Author: Flyer92122

After reading the comments I’m almost like why bother, so much hate and ignorance even in an article about train service. Another part that defies logic is how a train station near a cruise ship terminal would hurt the cruise ship business. A line that picks up people up to 400 miles away and drops them off blocks from the start of their cruise vacation would boost business! All the studies and meetings are a moot point anyway as Gov Ivy will never sign a spending bill for rail. 

https://www.al.com/news/2019/07/fact-finding-session-planned-in-mobile-for-coastal-amtrak-return.html

[color=var(--text-on-primary-color, #fff)]TR[/color][color=var(--light-text-on-default-color, rgba(0,0,0,0.6))]13 hours ago

I [/color]think we need the rail system for all the Libs that are unhappy in Alabama, maybe we could start a go fund me. Maybe they can get a good price all the way to California

[color=var(--light-text-on-default-color, rgba(0,0,0,0.6))]17 hours ago

I’m [/color] no genius, but after loading, unloading, and making several stops along the way, it could become a lengthy trip. $50 to $90 per person for a round trip of what would normally be a 2 hour drive doesn't seem like something many people would participate in. 

[color=var(--light-text-on-default-color, rgba(0,0,0,0.6))]17 hours ago[/color]Project being pushed by rich lobbyists. Follow the money

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/19 13:30 by Flyer92122.

Date: 07/08/19 07:48
Re: Mobile service local paper
Author: Lackawanna484

Richard Branson is heading in the opposite direction.  He hopes to convert the FEC Miami Port branch into a feeder to his cruise line.

Date: 07/08/19 07:51
Author: chrsjrcj

There has been some opposition from the Port in Mobile because they believe that 2 passenger trains a day will cripple the Port.

Maybe they should head over to Florida, and see the 32 Brightline trains plus dozen or so freight trains that operate daily on the FEC. But they won’t, because their opposition is to anything that benefits the general public with no kickbacks for them.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/08/19 08:57
Author: TAW

chrsjrcj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There has been some opposition from the Port in
> Mobile because they believe that 2 passenger
> trains a day will cripple the Port.

We went through that in developing the Sounder commuter service Everett - Tacoma (WA) and the Portland OR - Vancouver BC Cascades service. The ports of Seattle, Tacoma, Longview, and Kalama were all vehemently opposed to any passenger service as were some in BN management. Passenger trains will be the ruin of us all. The ports and the railroad will go bankrupt when the vessel traffic all goes somewhere else and on and on and on. Industrial customers will move elsewhere. Both projects were specifically designed to improve freight service as well as passenger service. BN was at the point of not being able to handle its existing traffic yet wanted to be "kept whole." No matter how much better the conditions would be after passenger project implementation, "kept whole" was always more. The ports were on the same page. The battle raged for several years. Opposition to passenger trains is deep-rooted and makes no sense. The arguments against are propaganda that just won't quit.

TAW

Date: 07/08/19 09:00

The devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/08/19 09:36
Author: Moonshiner

It's Alabama. 'Nuff said.

Date: 07/08/19 11:22
Author: darkcloud

Flyer92122 Wrote:
> After reading the comments I’m almost like why
> bother, so much hate and racism even in an article
> about train service.  

Shut up with your dishonest claims of racism.  I saw nothing in the article or the 40 comments below it that could be considered racist.  

You've repeatedly tried to slander Southerners as racist in prior posts about this Mobile-New Orleans proposal simply because not all of them view this train the same way you do.  That's a despicable tactic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/19 11:24 by darkcloud.

Date: 07/08/19 12:17

Mobile is very sensitive to Carnival Cruise Lines, and its interests. In 2011, Carnival moved the Elation ship to another route, leaving Mobile high and dry. With a new cruise terminal to pay for.  Carnival came back later, with a sweetened package from the city and state.  I doubt that anybody wants to upset Carnival with any problem, real or imagined.

Here in south Florida, we see regular advertising for the Port of Mobile cruise ships, and the Robert Trent Jones golf course trail. Even though a zillion cruises leave from Tampa, Port Canaveral, West Palm, Fort Lauderdale, and Miami.  Ports = jobs + hotel stays + restaurants...

Date: 07/08/19 21:31
Author: Nomad

Moonshiner Wrote:
> It's Alabama. 'Nuff said.

Not 'nuff said.  Why don't you spell it out for us?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.061 seconds