Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Passenger Trains > Talgo Sets on the Move

Date: 07/17/19 19:35
Talgo Sets on the Move
Author: kevink

From a Chicago Facebook group:
The two former Wisconsin Talgo trainsets were in Amtrak’s Chicago 16th Street yard yesterday (7/16). Reportedly both are heading to Talgo in Milwaukee.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/17/19 23:13
Re: Talgo Sets on the Move
Author: OTG

Speculation...  Being reworked for service in the PNW?

Date: 07/18/19 07:52
Author: kbmiflyer

I thought the Talgo's were being taken out of service in PNW after the report on the Dupont crash?

Date: 07/18/19 08:06
Author: railstiesballast

IIRC the recommendation was that the earlier version was to be withdrawn however the latest version (series 8?) would remain in service.
Corrections/amplifications requested.....

Date: 07/18/19 08:29
Author: asheldrake

I believe Oregon's two sets in service are series 8s and the "bad" ones are series "6"....three of them still in service on the cascades.   nice to hear the wisconsin ones are at least moving; now the question is final destination.       Arlen

Date: 07/18/19 11:05
Author: FloridaTrainGuy

I did read somewhere that Talgo was offering to replace the Series 6 trains.  This must be the equipment.

Date: 07/18/19 11:08
Talgo Sets on the Move
Author: 79mph

These would be the ones that had been sitting at Beech Grove for years?

Date: 08/09/19 06:19
Author: FloridaTrainGuy

I find it very interesting that the Series 6 Talgos would comply with the new Tier III safety regulations which apply to the new "European" Acelas (Avelia Liberty).  Talgo claims this as true so I will take them at their word.  If this is the case, it would seem rather unfair to allow these standards for the new Alstom train sets and not for the Talgo train sets.

They either meet these new regulations or they don't.  We really have no proof that a conventional train would have been more survivable in that horrific crash.  Also the fact that there was a trailing engine in the consist probably made the situation worse by pushing the cars forward.  I think the whole push-pull practice needs more safety study myself. 

It seems Talgo has been much maligned in this country while they are loved everywhere else around the world where they are getting more and more popular.    

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/19 06:24 by FloridaTrainGuy.

Date: 08/09/19 14:24
Author: jp1822

Two sets to replace three train sets on a corridor that they are trying to expand service on...... If that'd be true, guess the Seattle-Vancouver, BC train will get either a low level set of equipment or Superliners, and possibly a second set will need to cometh forth for when repairs are done. If the Midwest and CA corridor services ever get their new passenger cars, then I am sure the Pacific Northwest will be getting the Horizon cars in a heartbeat. 

Originally as built and released, the Talgos had very comfortable seating in business class. Course, this statement is really invalid now after the very tragic accident involving the Talgos.  

Date: 08/09/19 15:31
Author: TAW

FloridaTrainGuy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I find it very interesting that the Series 6
> Talgos would comply with the new Tier III safety
> regulations which apply to the new "European"
> Acelas (Avelia Liberty).  Talgo claims this as
> true so I will take them at their word. 

I have seen documents stating that the train involved in the derailment complied with the regulations. NTSB"s criticism was about a regulation that doesn"t exist.

> If this
> is the case, it would seem rather unfair to allow
> these standards for the new Alstom train sets and
> not for the Talgo train sets.
>
> They either meet these new regulations or they
> don't.  We really have no proof that a
> conventional train would have been more survivable
> in that horrific crash.

... and a body of circumstantial evidence that it would not.

>  Also the fact that there
> was a trailing engine in the consist probably made
> the situation worse by pushing the cars forward. 

Not really. The engine was the equivelent of the weight of two conventional coaches. If I remember correctly. it was off the line out of Seattle. Were it nut, the PC switch would have tripped concurrent sith the emergency application. That would have occured when the train came apart, about one second after the engine left the railroad.

> I think the whole push-pull practice needs more
> safety study myself. 

Nope, it has been around for over 50 years and works just fine.

>
> It seems Talgo has been much maligned in this
> country while they are loved everywhere else
> around the world where they are getting more and
> more popular.    

Yes.

Apologize for not trimming better. On a phone on an airplane is not the optimum arrangement.

TAW

Date: 08/09/19 20:35
Author: howeld

There is a blurb about it in the most recent Trains Mag. I don’t have it in front of me but think it said that Amtrak has offered the Wisconsin talgos and it would be less than what the insurance has paid out for the destroyed set but WA is dragging it’s feet.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0623 seconds