Home Open Account Help 249 users online

Passenger Trains > #3

Date: 07/19/19 17:10
Author: GGIBSON

I think I'll fly instead taking the Chief.  What's going on with that route?.  The trip is mostly wide open, nothing to see land.  
GG

Date: 07/19/19 17:16
Re: #3
Author: Duna

GGIBSON Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think I'll fly instead taking the Chief. 
> What's going on with that route?.  The trip is
> mostly wide open, nothing to see land.  
> GG

Many people think those wide-open spaces are beautiful.

It's called "The West".

Date: 07/19/19 17:21
Author: dan

it is on the chopping block use it or loose, even if you use it we may ---

Date: 07/19/19 17:22
Author: goneon66

i think the scenery w/b on #3 from la junta to albuquerque is great over raton and glorieta passes.  the scenery e/b on #4 from eastern arizona through glorieta/raton passes is great too...........

Date: 07/19/19 17:24
Author: Flyer92122

Amazing scenery I’ve taken it 4 times the past 18 months. 

Date: 07/19/19 18:30
Author: millerdc

Scenery or not, #3 is down two hours today and not even to Ft. Madison.  Big  problem yesterday and another one today.  Anybody know what the problem is today?

Date: 07/19/19 20:27
Author: RuleG

GGIBSON Wrote:
> GG

I've traveled on 3 and 4 several times over the years and totally disagree with your characterization of it being "mostly wide open nothing to see land."  The Southwest Chief route passes through a number of scenic areas and many of the communities through which it passes offer plenty to see.

Date: 07/19/19 22:13
Author: John

My wife and I never cease to enjoy an LA - Chicago trip on the SWC.  The wide open expanses of the southwest have a special beauty.  And, if we tire of looking out the window, we enjoy a good book.

Date: 07/20/19 07:30
Author: YardLimit

GGIBSON Wrote:
> GG

You should fly. 

Date: 07/20/19 07:31
Author: YardLimit

millerdc Wrote:
> Scenery or not, #3 is down two hours today and not
> even to Ft. Madison.  Big  problem yesterday and
> another one today.  Anybody know what the problem
> is today?

Marine traffic delay over the Ft. Madison bridge. 

Date: 07/20/19 08:17
Author: badgerexpat

There's nothing wrong with the scenery on the Southwest Chief, and much that's right about it.

Now, the Sunset. . . .  There's some really amazing stuff just west of New Orleans, and of course the whole Huey Long Bridge crossing and its Gargantuan approaches is kind of breath-taking, but otherwise  . . . ?

Now, a 350-mile bus link in the middle of the Southwest Chief run would be all the reason anyone would need not to take that train. Dreadful idea. Grotesque.

True, a good long bus ride can have the effect of heightening one's appreciation of train travel. A number of years ago, a trainload of passengers on No 8 were bussed from Minot to Minneapolis because of high water, busses leaving Minot at about 11 pm, got to MSP around 7:30 am as I remember (only one of the drivers knew where the train station was, so the others all just followed him). Amtrak handled the bus transfer very well, but 520 miles of bus-ride was pretty horrible, with one big compensating upside: when we reached the noble Empire Builder waiting for us at the station, the spacious comforts of a Superliner roomette seemed downright Neronean.

Date: 07/20/19 10:31
Author: WW

Many non-residents don't "get it" about the scenery in the Great Plains and Southwest.  For those of us who live in this region, the "wide open spaces" have a beauty all of their own.  The Native American poet M. Scott Momaday said it best, "The West must be seen to be believed, but it must be believed to be seen."

Date: 07/20/19 13:20
Author: ATSF1129

GGIBSON Wrote:

>The trip is
> GG

Which route are you talking about, because, there’s nothing but truly spectacular scenery between Needles and La Junta.

Date: 07/20/19 14:30
Author: RuleG

One could add that Amtrak's 2019 wall calendar features #3 passing by a very interesting geologic formation at Mesita, NM.

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2018/11/13-southwest-chief-featured-on-2019-amtrak-calendar

Date: 07/20/19 17:03
Author: jst3751

GGIBSON Wrote:
> GG

When I rode the SWC last October between LA and La Junta, the scenery was a great part of the trip.

Of course, to see and enjoy the scenery, a person has to stop looking at their phone/PDA/Tablet/etc.

Date: 07/21/19 05:24
Author: AndyBrown

YardLimit Wrote:

> You should fly. 

Great response!  Wish I'd thought of it...

Andy

Date: 07/21/19 11:56
Author: JohnM

> Of course, to see and enjoy the scenery, a person
> has to stop looking at their phone/PDA/Tablet/etc.

yep my beef..... if you are headed to the lounge car, leave your books, magazines, crochet/knitting, electronic devices in your room or securely stowed.   And of course earphones if you must travel with a radio scanner!  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0478 seconds