Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Passenger Trains > New York Central in Hoboken

Date: 07/20/19 10:50
New York Central in Hoboken
Author: njfrn

Spotted this faux New York Central passenger outfit at Hoboken Terminal (NJ) today. Power is Black River & Western GP9 #811, coaches are former LIRR. In town for a movie shoot in the terminal. Coach paint scheme is... imaginative.

Date: 07/20/19 11:14
Re: New York Central in Hoboken
Author: raytc1944

Very phony N.Y.Central lettering!

Date: 07/20/19 11:31
Author: joemvcnj

I think they may belong to the Susquehannas historical group, which normally resides in Phillpsburg. In the 1990's during the Walter Rich era, they were quite common on the Cortland/Syracuse branch excursions.

Date: 07/20/19 12:12
Author: RevRandy

I find it frustrating when a movie does not do the simple job of making things accurate.  It would take little effort to contact the appropriate historical society to get the right font and lettering.  Can't help the style of coaches sometimes but the little things matter. 

And Hoboken does not Weehawken make.  

Like in "Source Code" when the obviously Rock Island line train (by type, actual surburban stations, aerial shots of the ROW in the 35th street area) has an announcement about "Next stop, Union Station."

A little consultation would make it all so much better

(It was back 50 years ago tomorrow when I last operated into Weehawken and then tried to operate over to Jersey City - people were walking on the moon [we were watching] but could not raise a Dispatcher on the radio.)

Date: 07/20/19 13:17
Author: pdt

If its a movie, they should do better.  TV...haha...its schedule driven,  and "what make good television" driven,  not reality driven.   They might never film the entire car at once.  

Im just amazed at how much money they spend to "make television". 
We started at 2pm yesterday, and wrapped at 5am today, and maybe we made 10 minutes of an hour TV show.  30 actors, crew of 30 some, another 20-30 support people, and hundreds of thousands of $$ of equpiment

IDK how much hoboken is used, but its easy access to use tracks 1 and 2, and no one there overnight.

Date: 07/20/19 14:16
Author: Lackawanna484

The Whippany NJ railroad museum had several cars painted, on one side, for Orient Express.

They were used, also in Hoboken, for the movie Julie and Julia.

Pays the bills...

Posted from Android

Date: 07/20/19 14:58
Author: RayH

raytc1944 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very phony N.Y.Central lettering!

Forget the lettering. I'm shocked that the buildings in the background are Hoboken. I commuted  there in 1977-1981 and it sure didn't look like THAT.

Date: 07/20/19 16:09
Author: njfrn

RayH Wrote:
> raytc1944 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Very phony N.Y.Central lettering!
>
> Forget the lettering. I'm shocked that the
> buildings in the background are Hoboken. I
> commuted  there in 1977-1981 and it sure didn't
> look like THAT.

Those are the towers of Jersey City in the background. Some call it 'Houston on Hudson', locally. Apologies to Houston.

The paint schemes are indeed interesting, but I suppose we should be grateful that they didn't just wrap some NJT Comet coaches or multilevels. Perhaps they are meant to suggest an alternate universe where the NYC takes over the Pennsy and slaps their logos all over anything painted in Tuscan Red (and you thought the Penn Central was a travesty!). I wasn't there long enough to find the right person to ask, but these are supposedly for an HBO special, possibly the Plot Against America or the Sopranos prequel. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/19 16:10 by njfrn.

Date: 07/20/19 16:48
Author: NYC_L4a

raytc1944 Wrote:
> Very phony N.Y.Central lettering!

The way it's spelled out twice, one on either side of the center as well as the usual above the window band would make me guess they wanted "New York Central" visible regardless of how tight camera shots are, or how crowded or cluttered the foreground is.

Date: 07/20/19 17:37
Author: joemvcnj

Wonder if all that was paint or just wrap over their usual dark red paint.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0507 seconds