Home Open Account Help 282 users online

Passenger Trains > Acoma in Albuquerque

Date: 08/10/19 01:53
Acoma in Albuquerque
Author: ATSF1129

I’m a bit late in asking, but, I was down at the Albuquerque Amtrak station the other day to pick up some friends coming in on 3 and saw the Acoma parked on one of the station tracks there.  I thought the owners had it towed to Winslow and kept on the La Posada grounds.  A change of heart for the owners, or new owners who are using it?

Date: 08/10/19 04:31
Re: Acoma in Albuquerque
Author: Topfuel

Car was moved from Winslow due to the switch being pulled to the house track where the passenger cars were being stored.  The owners of the Acoma are going to try running trips on the Rail Runner, since they live in ABQ.

Date: 08/10/19 16:45
Author: bobs

I wish the owners luck, but the Rail Runner has had zero interest in running PVs in the past.  Would be great if they change their minds though as that would allow PVs to visit Santa Fe again.

Date: 08/10/19 17:00
Author: Cumbresfan

When visiting last weekend I was told it will be stored at the 2926 restoration location together with the baggage/tool car they have purchased and is being upgraded to allow rail travel. The latter is expected to arrive this fall.The engine will be backed from the engine house to allow the two cars to be placed ahead of it (west) and all four stored on the siding with the engine secured in the engine house and the cars in the open. On work days, the cars will be moved forward to the GSA portion of the siding and returned at night. Car mover (named "Lurch") will be used in both the car and engine moves. However, the baggage car will need interior work so some days the engine will remain in the engine house.

Date: 08/10/19 21:08
Author: Abqfoamer

Unless the NMDOT has ruled otherwise, only Rail Runner equipment is allowed to run on the portion of the Rail Runner route to Santa Fe, from La Bajada  in the I-25 median to the former Santa Fe Southern track junction south of Rodeo Road crossing.

Date: 08/12/19 21:02
Author: Abqfoamer

AFAIK, private varnish trains may be able to visit Santa Fe if they travel from BNSF/Lamy Junction to Sfe on the former Santa Fe Southern line.

Date: 08/13/19 04:55
Author: ctillnc

What are the track conditions between Lamy and the junction at I-25 in Santa Fe?

Date: 08/14/19 05:50

Abqfoamer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> AFAIK, private varnish trains may be able to visit
> Santa Fe if they travel from BNSF/Lamy Junction to
> Sfe on the former Santa Fe Southern line.

They can, but since March of last year Amtrak will no longer allow PV's on/off at Lamy.PV's will need to arrange their own engines to get to Lamy and there is that pesky detail called insurance to deal with. Amtrak also now prohibits use of its engines or sponsorship for such travel.

Date: 08/14/19 05:54

ctillnc Wrote:
> What are the track conditions between Lamy and the
> junction at I-25 in Santa Fe?

A group of us traveled roundtrip with two cars in the summer of 2017. The rails were rusty but servicable with power a SF Southern engine. Max speed 10-15 mph. I'm not sure if SFS has excursion service on the line any more.

Date: 08/14/19 12:30
Author: ATSF1129

Abqfoamer Wrote:
> Unless the NMDOT has ruled otherwise, only Rail
> Runner equipment is allowed to run on the portion
> of the Rail Runner route to Santa Fe, from La
> Bajada  in the I-25 median to the former Santa Fe
> Southern track junction south of Rodeo Road
> crossing.

They ruled otherwise years ago.  There have been at least two movements with Amtrak equipment in the last 11 years to Santa Fe.  One was for the Disney "A Christmas Carol" Train, and the Amtrak Exhibit Train made an appearence.  Both ran up the I-25 trackage.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0419 seconds