Home Open Account Help 234 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak " Cyrus K. Holliday" where is it now?

Date: 08/10/19 16:47
Amtrak " Cyrus K. Holliday" where is it now?
Author: ns2557

Not sure where I actually took this shot at, I am thinking San Diego Ca as it was taken in May 1981 and I would have been in San Diego at that time. Was stationed at NAS North Island in Navy Squadron HS4. Went over to the Station here and not only rode a few San Diegans at the time but got a few shots to boot.  Any ideas as to the where it was at the time I got a shot and perhaps where it is now a days?  Thanks for any help.  Ben

Date: 08/10/19 17:21
Re: Amtrak " Cyrus K. Holliday" where is it now?
Author: SCAX3401

I believe this is the same car currently called Cyrus K. Holliday that is based in San Diego to this day.  It looks a LOT better now, having been totally rebuilt and looks some different now.

The first link below is a recent discussion on the car and the second has includes an image of the car today.

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,4780287,4781710#msg-4781710

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,4405093,4405120#msg-4405120

Date: 08/10/19 17:57
Author: PHall

There was a couple of years where Amtrak required every car in their trains to have an Amtrak paint scheme. Even PV's and railroad business cars.
This picture is from that period of time.

Date: 08/10/19 18:10
Author: ClubCar

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There was a couple of years where Amtrak required
> every car in their trains to have an Amtrak paint
> scheme. Even PV's and railroad business cars.
> This picture is from that period of time.
You are 100% correct about the painting of private cars.  However; since Amtrak operates over most of the Class I railroads, several of them told Amtrak that they would not paint their office cars in Amtrak colors no matter what and that Amtrak would have to move them as is.  Amtrak rescinded this rule.  Here is a photo of another private car that was owned by Railroad Passenger Cars (RRP) of Baltimore, Maryland.  RRP was going to paint all their cars in Amtrak colors before the rule changed and thus RRP began to paint their cars in the Chessie Steam Special colors as many of them were used by the Chessie System also for their commuter trains over the former B&O R.R.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 08/10/19 18:34
Author: Frank30

That maroon painted Cyrus K. Holliday does not resemble the previous  Amtrak painted version at all.
Could it be another car was renamed "Cyrus K. Holliday?"  It would certainly be a lot less work.
Frank30

Date: 08/10/19 19:33
Author: wattslocal

Wasn't the Cyrus K. Holiday created out of Soo Line business car 53?
Somewhere, I've heard that many years ago. 
Nice car, has well funded owner.

Watts local

Date: 08/10/19 19:34
Author: ssw

The window arrangment and duct work on this side of the car are an identical match between the current maroon version, and the amtrak painted version. They're the same car. 

Frank30 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That maroon painted Cyrus K. Holliday does not
> resemble the previous  Amtrak painted version at
> all.
> Could it be another car was renamed "Cyrus K.
> Holliday?"  It would certainly be a lot less
> work.
> Frank30

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/19 19:35 by ssw.

Date: 08/11/19 10:06
Author: Topfuel

Yes, this car is alive and well and still stored in the downtown San Diego, CA area.  Of interest, this car has been owned by the same family since the late 1960's. It has to be one of the longest running private car ownerships in the nation.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0486 seconds