Home Open Account Help 379 users online

Passenger Trains > AMTK City of New Orleans pet question

Date: 08/12/19 20:19
AMTK City of New Orleans pet question
Author: Wheelclix

Amtrak web site says pet carriage currently unavilable. We want to take our small pet dog (approx 12 lbs) who fits inside a 2 wheel carrier similar in size and appearance to a 2 wheel brief case. Does anyone have any recent experience as to whether this policy is enforced on that particular train? Thank you in advance.

Date: 08/13/19 07:42
Re: AMTK City of New Orleans pet question
Author: BigSkyBlue

I suspect pet carriage is currently unavailable due to the frequent bustitutions on this route.  Pet carriage isn't very practicable on a bus.  BSB

Date: 08/13/19 08:07
Author: CM80-46

What I have seen on the Chicago-Milwaukee service are service dogs. A while back I helped an elderly English lady with two caged parrots. They were very quite until they were off the train, then they let loose with very loud squawking!  Well trained!

Date: 08/13/19 08:23
Author: mundo

Under normal conditions, you would have no problems,  But with the busing requried south of Memphis is your  problem.
If you are not going south of Memphis, call Amtrak and sure the dog could be handled.

Date: 08/13/19 08:53
Author: Wheelclix

Thank you. We were planning NOLA-MEM. But prospect of the bus kills it. Booked Southwest.

Date: 08/13/19 12:07
Author: DavidP

Amtrak limits pet travel to trips of seven hours maximum.  New Orleans to Memphis is a little over 8.5 hours, so bustitution or not, the segment doesn’t qualify.

Dave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0233 seconds