Home Open Account Help 381 users online

Passenger Trains > LA Union Station Parking Question

Date: 08/18/19 15:35
LA Union Station Parking Question
Author: andersonb109

Does anyone have experience with parking at Los Angeles Union Station? I will be staying on a PV parked at the station and am thinking of renting a car from Hertz. So I would need to park the car while not out and about. Thus in and out multiple times would be needed. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Date: 08/18/19 16:06
Re: LA Union Station Parking Question
Author: RRBMail

The cheapest parking at LA Union Station is the underground Metro parking reached from behind the station below the Bus Plaza. Suggest you don't park on the 4th level as toxic fumes and puddles appear on and off from former gas refinery that occupied the area from the 1880s to 1950s causing one of the worst toxic dumps in the state. No one is willing to step-up to clean it up--300 feet deep. I have smelled it and seen the puddles. Cost per 24 hours is $8 last time I looked. Parking on the surface in front of the station costs $14-$20. What private car are you riding? 

Date: 08/18/19 16:57
Author: BobB

The Metro Plaza motel a couple blocks away has a parking lot inside the building.  I've stayed there many times but never used the parking (I rent a car the day after arrival and turn it in the morning I leave, having stayed elsewhere).  However, the last I heard it was $5 a day whether you stay there or not. You might check that out.

Date: 08/18/19 17:16
Author: walstib

Last time I parked at the Union Station garage I think it was $10 per day. I don’t think they allow in- and out-privileges, so each time you depart it ends that parking transaction.

Interesting about the 4th. level.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/19/19 00:08
Author: JimBaker

Is the 4th level the lowest of the levels at LAUS.
The last time I parked in the METRO Parking lot it was $6.00 per day.
That was about 4 years ago.

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

Date: 08/19/19 05:37
Author: jmonier

RRBaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The cheapest parking at LA Union Station is the
> underground Metro parking reached from behind the
> station below the Bus Plaza. Suggest you don't
> park on the 4th level as toxic fumes and puddles
> appear on and off from former gas refinery that
> occupied the area from the 1880s to 1950s causing
> one of the worst toxic dumps in the state. No one
> is willing to step-up to clean it up--300 feet
> deep. I have smelled it and seen the puddles.

I've parked on the lowest level, in the area next to the elevators, for up to 3 weeks and never seen this.  That's the best place to park IMHO.  If you enter the spiral ramp acros Vignes St from the "main entrance" you can go directly to the lowest level and then turn left when you can and right when you must, you're there in no time.  I've always been able able to find a space there very close (2-3 spaces) to the elevator.

Date: 08/19/19 07:44
Author: Duna

RRBaron Wrote:
> Suggest you don't
> park on the 4th level as toxic fumes and puddles
> appear on and off from former gas refinery that
> occupied the area from the 1880s to 1950s causing
> one of the worst toxic dumps in the state. No one
> is willing to step-up to clean it up--300 feet
> deep. I have smelled it and seen the puddles

Any toxic fumes or puddles down there are from urine or rainwater.

This is Los Angeles, California where any oil seepage (flamable) or non-human toxic waste would cause an immediate shutdown & $$$ cleanup.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/19 07:45 by Duna.

Date: 08/19/19 07:57
Author: RRBMail

> Any toxic fumes or puddles down there are from
> urine or rainwater.

I know what petroleum smells like and feels like...and I know what urine smells like and feels like...this ain't no pee-pee, although there are also water puddles when it rains. Call Metro. It is constantly under discussion at Metro meetings I have attended. The questions are what can be done about and who is going to pay for it? Level 4 is the lowest level. Pollution reaches a depth of about 300 feet from the surface. The smell and toxic puddles come and go in part because they are constantly being cleaned-up. Look at the base of some of the pillars for dark staining, use a protective glove and touch the stuff and smell it.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/19 08:01 by RRBaron.

Date: 08/19/19 08:12
Author: erielackawanna

Despite the cost of the in-and-out full-freight re-charge, I would use the underground parking at LAUS. There are a number of $5 a day lots scattered around to the northwest of the station, easy walking distance, but I'd be hesitant to leave a car unattended in them overnight. While you'd probably be okay, for my personal preference, the Metro cameras in the garage give you an extra level of protection.

Date: 08/19/19 10:54
Author: PHall

RRBaron Wrote:
> > Any toxic fumes or puddles down there are from
> > urine or rainwater.
>
> I know what petroleum smells like and feels
> like...and I know what urine smells like and feels
> like...this ain't no pee-pee, although there are
> also water puddles when it rains. Call Metro. It
> is constantly under discussion at Metro meetings I
> have attended. The questions are what can be done
> about and who is going to pay for it? Level 4 is
> the lowest level. Pollution reaches a depth of
> about 300 feet from the surface. The smell and
> toxic puddles come and go in part because they are
> constantly being cleaned-up. Look at the base of
> some of the pillars for dark staining, use a
> protective glove and touch the stuff and smell
> it.  

There was never a "refinery" in that area. There was a couple of natural gas storage facilities (expanding tanks) in the area though.

Date: 08/19/19 19:16
Author: JimBaker

I remember a wall around the area with an iron gate sign that said "Los Angeles Gas Works" just north off of Aliso Street.

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

Date: 08/20/19 14:24
Author: utwazoo

As late as 1970 or so there were a number of really old wooden oil pump jacks still in operation on the hills around N. Broadway/Chinatown. Used to drive by them everyday on the way to work at City Hall.   I'd guess there could be oil seepage all around that area, including LAUPT.

Date: 08/25/19 16:25
Author: casco17

RRBaron Wrote:
> The cheapest parking at LA Union Station is the
> underground Metro parking reached from behind the
> station below the Bus Plaza. Cost
> per 24 hours is $8 last time I looked. Parking on
> the surface in front of the station costs $14-$20.
I've used the underground Metro parking before - no issues - though it is a bit forlorn down there.
Surface parking - at least on the roof - does not permit overnight parking; must leave by 10 pm. 
I don't know if there are time limits for parking in front of the station. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0716 seconds