Home Open Account Help 343 users online

Passenger Trains > New Jersey DOT Arrow 1 Display Train

Date: 08/18/19 15:42
New Jersey DOT Arrow 1 Display Train
Author: NB1001

I came across the attached slide that I had taken a little more than 50 years ago. I do not have an exact date when the slide was taken. The process date on the slide was February 1969, but the leaves on the trees make it more plausible that the slide was taken in August or September 1968.  The slide was taken at the Ridgewood, NJ. station on the non-electrified Erie Lackawanna Main. The slide portrays Arrrow I multiple unit cars 100 and 101. They bear the the logos of New Jersey Dept of Transportation and Penn Central. The folding table on the platform and the small group of people suggest that the train had been parked there so that the public could inspect the first two Arrow I cars built by the St Louis Car Company at the behest of the NJDOT and delivered (according to Wikipedia) in August 1968.
In that the cars were slated for service (again according to Wikipeida) on the Northeast corridor and would not run past Ridgewood, what would have been the purpose of this publicity stop in Ridgewood? Does anybody have any ideas or more information about the Ridgewood display?

Date: 08/18/19 16:34
Re: New Jersey DOT Arrow 1 Display Train
Author: Lackawanna484

New Jersey has a long history of using rail cars as bait for ballot initiatives, bonding, etc.  Governor Byrne borrowed a set of Comet 1 PS cars and a U34CH to run on the  CNJ Raritan Valley main in support of a bond ballot and his own re-election. He may have used it on the New York & Long Branch, too.

Date: 08/18/19 23:52
Author: pdt

Prob publicity for a bond issue.  1969, all trains out of hoboken were still 1910-1030's era equipment.  No A/C except fr a handful of rebuilt stillwells. and IDK if the A/C systems even worked on them. The arrow 1's were the only "new" equipment on any of the north jersey commuter lines.  IIRC, the "Santa Fe's on the EL lines, and the "Jersey Builder" cars didnt come along till 1970, and the the comets in 1972.

Date: 08/19/19 08:14
Author: erielackawanna

Also going to guess this was a Sunday. (Off the top of my head, there was no Sunday service late 60s/70s/early80s.)

Date: 08/20/19 05:29
Author: joemvcnj

14 of the 35 cars built survive today in California Amtrak service. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0457 seconds