Home Open Account Help 322 users online

Passenger Trains > Ex-Santa Fe Pullman club-lounge car may see new life

Date: 08/20/19 08:37
Ex-Santa Fe Pullman club-lounge car may see new life
Author: JoCoLB

A former ATSF Railway Pullman club-lunge car, which has served as a railfan's retreat on a farm east of Overbrook, Kan., for more than 30 years, may see new life soon.
It's been told that Santa Fe car No. 1347 will be moved sometime this year to the Midland Railway excursion line at nearby Baldwin City,, Kan., and will be reconditioned and serviced for eventual public use again on the Midland's excursion line. Let us all hope that it works out. Moving of the car has been delayed several times this year due to above normal rainfall.  The heavy load has to be moved over farm ground to reach the adjacent paved highway, U.S. 56.

Date: 08/20/19 08:39
Re: Ex-Santa Fe Pullman club-lounge car may see new life

A large set of dolly wheels has already been placed under one end of the ex-Santa Fe car in readiness for a move to a new location.

Date: 08/20/19 08:40

This photo shows the detached wheels and truck that were removed from the ex-Santa Fe car.  Anyone have the full history on this car?

(Photos by Larry Byers) 

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/19 18:22 by JoCoLB.

Date: 08/20/19 09:02
Author: UPJeff

According to "A Quarter Century of Santa Fe Consists" by Fred W. Frailey  page 162 published by RPC Publications Copyright 1974 by W. David Randall

Pullman built full lounges 1347-49 in 1947 for the daily EL CAPITAN.After fulldome lounges came to the EL CAP in 1954, they went to the GOLDEN GATE and specials. ​

Jeff Smith
Lakewood, CA
RailMaster Hobbies

Date: 08/20/19 09:48
Author: GenePoon

Since it's Pullman, I hope the Cor-Ten steel framing is still sound.

Date: 08/20/19 09:53
Author: Hou74-76

Do my eyes deceive me or does that car still have entact hardware from the Safety steam ejector air condintioner on the underside?
Hou74-76

Date: 08/20/19 10:52
Author: PHall

Hou74-76 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do my eyes deceive me or does that car still have
> entact hardware from the Safety steam ejector air
> condintioner on the underside?
> Hou74-76

Probably since it was never owned by Amtrak.

Date: 08/20/19 11:02
Author: BuddPullman

Thank is great news!  A terrific and rare car for sure.  Thank you for the update.

There was a sister car in the Santa Fe Business Fleet (now BNSF).  Not sure if it survived (BNSF) with all of the modern day changes?. 

Date: 08/20/19 11:06

There was a business car on this same farm but it was moved to the Great Overland Station Museum in Topeka several years ago. I don't have the name or number.

Date: 08/20/19 14:40
Author: Topfuel

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hou74-76 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Do my eyes deceive me or does that car still
> have
> > entact hardware from the Safety steam ejector
> air
> > condintioner on the underside?
> > Hou74-76
>
> Probably since it was never owned by Amtrak.

This car was owned by Amtrak.  Two of the three cars in the Lot went to Amtrak, and the AT&SF kept one for the aforementioned biz car fleet.

As for the car structure, it is in rough shape and needs some work before it should be put back into service, even on a slow tourist RR.

Date: 08/20/19 15:28
Author: atsf1349

I believe I rode in this car when it was in San Diegan service in 1970.

Posted from Android

Date: 08/20/19 16:14
Author: ATSF3751

Nice. A photo of a passenger car truck that is truly "outstanding" in it's field.

The truck BTW, is a 41-CS, or 41-CS-11 post war type. Often referred to as a "Commonwealth", an somewhat inaccurate label used mostly be modelersl and historians alike. 

and 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/19 16:20 by ATSF3751.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0464 seconds