Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak Chief 3 and 4 with semaphores

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 09/05/19 08:21
Amtrak Chief 3 and 4 with semaphores
Author: highgreengraphics

Amtrak SW Chief 3 and 4 among the semaphores in northern New Mexico report - Photo 1 - Amtrak westbound No. 3 led by 79 rolls past the semaphore-controlled West Colmor on August 27. Photo 2 - Farther south at the semaphore-controlled East Chappelle. Photo 3 - After meeting 3 at Blanchard, No. 4 led by 16 is passing semaphore-controlled East Ojita.
There's mooore... 

Date: 09/05/19 08:31
Re: Amtrak Chief 3 and 4 with semaphores

Photo 1 - Amtrak 4 led by 16 again rocketing past the 7121 intermediate semaphores west of Colmor. Photo 2 - The next late morning, on August 28, Amtrak 3 led by 86 storms the semaphore-controlled east end of Colmor, NM. Photo 3 - West of Las Vegas, Amtrak 86 splits the middle set of 3 twin intermediates between Ojita and Chappelle, NM, beyond is a meet with No. 4 at Rowe.
There's mooore...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/19 08:54 by highgreengraphics.

Date: 09/05/19 08:45

Photo 7 - That afternoon, after another view at East Ojita and the Las Vegas station stop, opportunity arose as something was holding up No. 4 from getting into Wagon Mound with its usual velocity. Signal trouble had left all the signals in the stop position, and the 20mph maximum speed allowed for more photos than usual. Here is eastbound 4 led by 3 at semaphore-controlled East Wagon Mound, NM, with only one semaphore, as the other two are obscured by trees, and the namesake mound itself. Photo 8 - Strolling past the bent semaphore at the first intermediate east of Wagon Mound, it has remained bent for a long time, and still is. To me, it is a signal improperly displayed, and I am surprised it has not been replaced long before now. I do not think any wind caused this, blades in one other location looked tampered with also. I hope we do not have this going on. Photo 3 - Stopped at West Levy, with the silhouette of Wagon Mound dominating the background. Do not try this shot on another day with Amtrak at speed!
There's mooore... 

Date: 09/05/19 08:53

Photo 10 - On ancient jointed rail between the 7121 intermediates in the Stop position west of Colmor. Photo 11 - After stopping, pulling out of semaphore-controlled West Colmor, looking at a clear indication at the distant East Colmor semaphore, and after enduring a lot of signal delay it was full speed again. Happy Chieffanning! === === = === JLH

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/19 17:45 by highgreengraphics.

Date: 09/05/19 09:08
Author: gaspeamtrak

WOW !!! Those pictures calender quality !!! 
These are some of the best pictures yetof the Chief!!! Incredible!!!
Thank you for sharing !!! :):):)

Date: 09/05/19 09:10
Author: YardLimit

Amazing work!  Thanks for posting these. 

Date: 09/05/19 13:19
Author: BuddPullman

All Absolutely Beautiful!  Great Work!  Thank you.

Date: 09/05/19 13:23
Author: Peak45068

Your pictures are just superb. I was hoping someone out there got some pictures of Numbers 3+5 paired up.
I was going to fly to LAX this weekend to ride behind them, then double back and drop onto the Tehachapi loop diversions.
Unfortunately UP changed the maintenance dates so I’m flying out next Thursday for the rejigged diversion dates. 3 and 5 if still on the SWC will be at the Chicago end then!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/05/19 14:23
Author: restricted_speed

Very nice photos.

Photo 9 reminds me of something I've wondered about.  Why are some tracks leading to turnouts curved out like that?

I'm guessing that it makes for a smoother transition, but I've never seen it discussed before.

Date: 09/05/19 14:50
Author: UP951West

Outstanding images ! Four stars. Thanks for sharing. 

Date: 09/05/19 14:54
Author: GPutz

Thanks for the tour, Jim; and congratulations on the picture of #4014 in TRAINS.  Gerry

Date: 09/05/19 15:56

Restricted speed - the reverse turn is old practice left over from steam locomotive days when the signals HAD to be on the right side of the cab. So the signal was placed between the main and the siding, and to take up as little real estate as possible on the rest of the siding, the track curved the other way. Nowdays, with forward-facing cabs, the signals can be placed on either side, and the reverse turn is eliminated. === === = === JLH

Date: 09/05/19 16:01
Author: restricted_speed

highgreengraphics Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Restricted speed - the reverse turn is old
> practice left over from steam locomotive days when
> the signals HAD to be on the right side of the
> cab. So the signal was placed between the main and
> the siding, and to take up as little real estate
> as possible on the rest of the siding, the track
> curved the other way. Nowdays, with forward-facing
> cabs, the signals can be placed on either side,
> and the reverse turn is eliminated. === === = ===
> JLH

That's interestnig.  Thank you for the reply.

I grew up on the east coast and don't recall ever seeing this.  And here I thought it was something "new".  I wonder if it is particular to Western roads?

Date: 09/05/19 19:03

East Ojita has what is supposed to be a public road that turns left off the main road, find it on Google Earth. A bit unnerving because it passes right in front of two trailer houses, but in a dozen times there I have never been hassled, I just go slow and be respectful. Yes, I do pack a well-known 6-ft stepladder which rests on the bedding when I am not in it during the day, it comes in handy. Its height is just enough to get me to track level at the intermediates. At west Colmor, I just set it up at the far end of the embankment. A ladder is necessary to be guaranteed to see that second or third semaphore above the Superliners in a still picture at an end-of-siding semaphore grouping, experience talking. Unless of course one has a drone. === === = === JLH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/19 19:12 by highgreengraphics.

Date: 09/05/19 19:04
Author: SD45X

He’s been known to pack a ladder:)
Ojita has a little driveway there. Bubba on the porch points and says “signals that way”. Least he did for me:)

Date: 09/05/19 19:07

Without looking it up, I think the left turn driveway to East Ojita is called "Hilton Rd." or some such nonsense. === === = === JLH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/19 19:08 by highgreengraphics.

Date: 09/05/19 19:41
Author: Railfan2

great set of pics. cant get any classier

Date: 09/05/19 21:06
Author: rrman6

Love all your great shots here, especially those semaphores with their original pinnacles.  Wonder why those in the vicinity of 7102 and 7121 have the stubby caps rather than the originals?  These certainly don't appear correct wtihout that sharper point.  Again, thanks for all the shots, as we know these semaphores will be history before long.

Date: 09/05/19 22:28
Author: dan

who knows maybe some fans put the stubs on?  

just tell them your a FRN with the FRA....

Date: 09/06/19 08:25

I have done every currently existing location from both sides, and those around Watrous that are now gone, most can be found on previous TO posts including last year in the winter. Two intermediates between Ojita and Chappelle have to be walked into. I only gave myself two days this time, and did not re-cover each location, just tried to work with sun angle. Winter when snowing or overcast is a nice time because of the even light, which helps especially at West Chappelle where the sun is usually wrong all year at the time of day 3 and 4 go through there. I don't expect we will have many more opportunities to photograph these semaphores, I have been hoping that they will last until 4-8-4 2926 being rebuilt in Albuquerque is out on the road, would make great shots! === === = === JLH 

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.4358 seconds