Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Passenger Trains > Mission San Francisco of Borja Ada

Date: 11/30/00 15:53
Mission San Francisco of Borja Ada
Author: MikeRonning

The Caltrain Station in San Francisco looks like something that was designed after the Mission San Francisco of Borja Ada in Southern Baja California, Mexico. Could Caltrain and Muni have both used some originality when that funny looking building was built and made it look something like either CUS or LAUS?

Mike Ronning in SLO

Date: 11/30/00 16:16
RE: Mission San Francisco of Borja Ada
Author: djansson

The original SP station at THIRD AND TOWNSEND was built for the Panama Exposition and was a real jewel. But that was then, and it was torn down in the 70's to make way for - what else? - an RV parking lot. The station you see today was slapped together as an el-cheapo fix for what was perceived to be a loser commute system that would sooner or later go away. (cars and asphalt forever!!)

Looks like we've come full circle with a new station being proposed AND finally extending rail service to the Transbay Terminal (where it should have gone to all along). SP at the turn of the LAST century originally proposed running the tracks straight along 7th to Market St. and building a real station there, but the real estate was too expensive even in 1900.

I recommend reading any of the books about the SP's Coast Line as they have a LOT of info in them. Quite a bit of history here...

Date: 11/30/00 17:32
RE: Mission San Francisco of Borja Ada
Author: Steved

There's a nice BIG photo of the old depot inside the new, Peter, next time you're in town, get off the train and have a look around(its in the flower stand next to the newstand.

Date: 11/30/00 18:28
Third & Townsend (Photos)
Author: photobob

Heres how the depot appeared in the mid-50's. If you would like to view the demolition of this great structure (click) on the photo.

<a href="http://www.snowcrest.net/photobob/3rdst1.html&quot;PhotoBobs Website</a>

Date: 12/01/00 13:23
RE: Third &amp; Townsend (Photos)
Author: sfmike

That's a Mack diesel bus peeking in from the right (probably the 15 Third/Kearny line), and the trolly wires are for the 30 Stockton/SP Depot line, a service held down by those elegant, soft-riding Fadgel (sp?)Twin Coaches. The trolly line connected Third and Townsend with downtown, Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf and the Marina district. It still runs today.

In those days (which I'm sorry to say I can remember), even the city buses were varied and interesting.

Date: 12/01/00 13:27
RE: Third &amp; Townsend (Photos)
Author: sfmike

Forgot to mention, the destination sign on today's 30 line buses still says "SP DEPOT", even though it's been Caltrain for 25 years.

SF, the city that knows how!

Date: 12/01/00 20:45
RE: Third &amp; Townsend
Author: daniel3197

[Margaret, SP fan]:

AND the present station is not even a true DEPOT: a "depot" is a lockable building. I miss 3rd & Townsend a LOT. The present station has nice amenities, but is too small, and is far too plain. Compared to 3rd & Townsend, 4th & King (as Caltrain conductors must refer to it) is almost ugly. I simply do NOT understand how ANYONE can see 4th & Townsend as PRETTY. Oh, well, "De gustibus non disputandem!"

The lovely depot at 3rd & Townsend was built in time for the 1915 Panama Pacific International Exposition. For those who have never seen any of the buildings of that exposition, try this Web site:

http://www.sanfranciscomemories.com/ppie/panamapacific.html

That exposition had LOVELY buildings. The Civic Auditorium was also built for the expo. Such a pity it was torn down after it ended, because the expo did not own the land. Wouldn't that have been a BEAUTIFUL jewel for San Francisco to share with its many visitors?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0415 seconds