Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak Operations in the Greater Boston Area: 9/29, 9/30, & 10/1

Date: 10/06/19 07:15
Amtrak Operations in the Greater Boston Area: 9/29, 9/30, & 10/1
Author: Passfanatic

On 9/29/19, I managed to make it to various spots along the MBTA Haverhill Line to photograph the Amtrak Downeaster trains detouring because of the construction related to the extension of the Green Line to Medford along the regular route that the Downeaster takes. Here are the first three shots.
1. Southbound Amtrak Downeaster Train # 690 crosses the Mystic River bridge in Somerville, taken from behind the Gateway Center Mall. This is a great morning spot!
2.  Northbound Amtrak Train # 691, being led by a P42, has just passed the Wyoming Hill MBTA Station and is heading north along its detour route.
3. F40PH Cabbage Car # 90213 brings up the rear of Train # 691. Next stop is Haverhill.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/19 04:57 by Passfanatic.

Date: 10/06/19 07:20
Re: Amtrak Operations in the Greater Boston Area: 9/29, 9/30, & 1

1. Amtrak Downeaster Train # 692 is about to pass Wyoming Hill Station heading to North Station in Boston. He is running a little off the advertised.
2. P40 # 818 brings up the rear of Train # 692 as it begins to pass Wyoming Hill Station.
3. A few miles up the Haverhill Line at Greenwood Station, P40 # 818 leads Train # 693 at track speed up the Haverhill Line.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/19 04:58 by Passfanatic.

Date: 10/06/19 07:48

These last few shots are taken in Boston.
1. On Monday 9/30/19, Amtrak Train # 449 has just left Back Bay Station and is about to duck underneath Boylston Street, the overpass where I am standing to take this photograph. The skyline of Downtown Boston is in the background.
2. On 10/1/19, I managed to get this picture of ACS-64 # 642 on the head end of Amtrak Northeast Regional Train # 93 at South Station. Veterans Day is about a month away.
3. Two Acela sit beside each other at South Station on 10/1/19. The one on the right is Train # 2165 which I took back to Newark.

Date: 10/06/19 11:12
Author: boejoe

Another great group of shots.  Looks like you had a successful visit to the area.

Date: 10/06/19 11:13
Author: RevRandy

Loved the pix of the Downeasters/Haverhill line - back in the 1970's (when I was Vice-Chair of the Merrimack Valley Regional Transit Authority, which was the agency that brought passenger/commuter service back to that line) I owned a house in the Shawsheen section of Andover,MA,  (Burnham Road underpass) with the B&M in the backyard, a perfect place to watch the commuters  trains come and go.  It must be wonderful for those there now to keep an eye on the Downeasters. 

The realignment of the B&A on which the shot of 449 is taken was necessitated by the construction of the turnpike (along with the removal of the old coach yards where the Prudential Center would rise) was another of my father's projects along with his primary work on Beacon Park Yard.  

Thanks for the photos

Date: 10/06/19 11:56
Author: sums007

You caught the Downeasters off their normal route.  You saw them on the Western Route, and they normally take the Lowell Line up to Wilmington, then the Wildcat Branch over to North Wilmington, where they get on the Western Route to go to Maine.

Date: 10/06/19 13:41

Thanks guys! It was great catching the Downeasters off of their normal route. The timing of my trip could not have occurred at a better time. My original plan was to railfan the detours in the morning and then a little later in the morning go up to the Merrimack Valley area but I felt pretty tired. Plus, that day, Amtrak Downeaster Trains in the afternoon and early evening were several hours tardy because of the suspicious package found in Rigby Yard. I only went as far as Reading and then came back down.

Date: 10/07/19 17:25
Author: overniteman

Nice set of photos! See you bagged the "Veterans" ACS, sweet.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.072 seconds