Home Open Account Help 256 users online

Passenger Trains > Mineola, Long Island on 10/14

Date: 10/14/19 15:19
Mineola, Long Island on 10/14
Author: joemvcnj

With 2 minutes, a lucky catch:

Westbound train 2319 from Farmingdale with Budd M-3's due at 12:47pm, then eastbound diesel train 650 to Port Jefferson with one of the few Super Steel locos that has a properly sounding K5LA horn. 

Note the changing position light indication once the front of the train passed it. 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/19 16:11 by joemvcnj.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/14/19 15:26
Re: Mineola, Long Island on 10/14

Real time train arrival LED board, Nassau switch tower east of the station which I think will be demolished soon for the 3rd track, and the passenger depot itself. I believe the abandoned, brick, 3d rail substation will survive.

Willis Hobbies is a 10 minute walk to the north. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/19 17:20 by joemvcnj.

Date: 10/14/19 15:53
Author: 4489

Were any arrests made for the stealing of the locomotive?

Date: 10/14/19 17:31
Author: Gulliver-Stuart

It's interesting that the last place that the Pennsy position light signals are used is on the LIRR.

Also, Willis Hobbies is worth the 10 minute walk.  Also there are some nice restaurants to eat at in the area.

Stuart (formerly of Willis Hobbies).

Date: 10/14/19 17:41
Author: raytc1944

No.  Much of SEPTA uses color position lights and the recently rebuilt K interlocking outside of 30th st. Station uses the traditional amber position lights although they are LEDs

Date: 10/14/19 18:19

Station Plaza Coffee Shop diner is where I always eat.

The position light signals there for sure will be demolished over the next couple of years for the 3rd track and grade crossing eliminations.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/15/19 09:54
Author: 99stang

These pix took me back a few9!) years . As teenagers we tried the " Can we come up" line with the tower operator at Nassau in Mineola.  Couldn't beleive he said yes. Over the next 2-3 years we were constant visitors; after school, get the paper routes done throwing Newsdays onto porches, get on the old Schwinn  & Huffy10-speeds and race across town to the tower.
Fridays were great, taking our seats at the northeast corner of the tower,(right above the "AU" of Nassau) watching the action on the main and Oyster Bay brances, eating our paperboy profits spent at the Mineola Deli with Ring Dings, Cheese Doodles, Hires Root beer and maybe an oversized sandwich. My 2 train buddys pursued railroad careers, from the engineering perspective out of college. I went the business route, but got stymied by the coal strike of the late 70's and couldn' get a Class 1 road to take a business major trainee. 

Darn, seems like yesterday.... Gotta go find the 1960's- 70's prints/negatives from the basement now.  Never thought that would be a Nostalgia section :-)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0312 seconds