Home Open Account Help 242 users online

Passenger Trains > Passengers, domes and fall foliage in New Hampshire

Date: 10/16/19 06:50
Passengers, domes and fall foliage in New Hampshire
Author: DavidP

Until the mid-1950s, passenger trains played an important role in bringing visitors to Bretton Woods in New Hampshire’s White Mountains.  Both the Boston and Maine and Maine Central served Fabyan, a station close to the Mt. Washington Hotel with seasonal through trains from Boston and New York.  The B&M abandoned their Mt. Washington branch in the 1930s, instead relying on partner MEC to forward trains over the Mountain Division from Intervale and Whitefield, NH.  The last MEC passenger train, a Portland, ME to St. Johnsbury, VT local quit in 1957, and the spectacular Mountain Division line through Crawford Notch fell victim to Guilford consolidation in the mid-80’s.  Thankfully, the State of New Hampshire stepped in to preserve the line, and gradually tourist operator Conway Scenic Railroad has established a solid summer and autumn business running it’s Notch Train from North Conway to Crawford’s and Fabian.  Here’s a short video of yesterday’s train creeping over the Willey Brook trestle, crossing US 302 in Bretton Woods, and departing Fabyan on the return trip to North Conway.

Dave

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/16/19 06:58
Re: Passengers, domes and fall foliage in New Hampshire

Here are a few stills of the train coming through the Notch just east of Crawford's.  The large building in the background is the Appalachian Mountain Club's Highland Center.  Lead unit 216 is a former N&W GP35 acquired from Pan Am Railways in a trade for Conway Scenic's two ex-CN FP9s.

Dave

Date: 10/16/19 07:07

Here are three more at Fabyan (sometimes called Fabyan's as the station is now a restaurant by that name).  The units are run around the train here for the return trip.  For a look at GP38 252 in its earlier days on the Mountain Division, check out GPutz's post https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,4833014,4833014#msg-4833014.

Retired Mt. Washington Cog Railway steam engine Col. Teague is on display as the road in the foreground leads up to the Cog Base Station.  Until the 1930's a B&M branch continued from here to the base.

Dave

Date: 10/16/19 07:30
Author: jcaestecker

Very nice!  Thanks for posting.  Sweet-looking ex-CB&Q Vista Dome :-)))  At the beginning of the video, it looks like they're crossing the Frankenstein Trestle (yes, that's what it's called).  IIRC it has a 5 mph speed restriction, which is great because the view from the dome is lengthy and spectacular.  If you're in the region, please go support the Conway Scenic.  The people there are terrific.

-John

Date: 10/16/19 08:11

jcaestecker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very nice!  Thanks for posting.  Sweet-looking
> ex-CB&Q Vista Dome :-)))  At the beginning of the
> video, it looks like they're crossing the
> Frankenstein Trestle (yes, that's what it's
> called).  IIRC it has a 5 mph speed restriction,
> which is great because the view from the dome is
> lengthy and spectacular.  If you're in the
> region, please go support the Conway Scenic.  The
> people there are terrific.
>
> -John

Hi John....I thought you would enjoy seeing your baby in its new role :-)

Re the trestle, it's Willey Brook.  Frankenstein is another trestle a couple of miles to the east, but not visible from the road.  Here's a picture of the CSRR's 0-6-0 crossing it in June.

Dave

Date: 10/16/19 08:45
Author: MEKoch

Where might I find an equipment roster?   It looks interesting..........

Date: 10/16/19 09:20
Author: jcaestecker

Thanks so much Dave.  I always enjoy seeing the car in action.  And I appreciate the good care she's getting up there.

Wshing you continuing success!

-John

Date: 10/16/19 12:09
Author: aehouse

MEKoch Wrote:
> Where might I find an equipment roster?   It
> looks interesting..........

It's far more than interesting.  They actually operate the railroad like a railroad, and the color schemes on the rolling stock and buildings pay tribute to the line's two predecessors, Boston and Maine and Maine Central  A truly class operation in every respect.

Where else can you ride a train through spectacular scenery while riding in a CZ or North Coast Limited dome, and eat in a diner that ran on the Pocahontas and Powhatan Arrow? And that's just for starters.

Art House

Date: 10/17/19 08:40
Author: RFandPFan

Excellent video and photos!  Thanks for sharing.

Date: 10/17/19 10:57
Author: BuddPullman

I like that view of what appears to be a former Vista Dome Coach from the 1956 "Vista Dome Denver Zephyr"!  All nice shots, thank you. 

Date: 10/17/19 12:59

BuddPullman Wrote:
> I like that view of what appears to be a former
> Vista Dome Coach from the 1956 "Vista Dome Denver
> Zephyr"!  All nice shots, thank you. 

That’s correct - now known as the Rhonda Lee, this car was originally CB&Q’s Silver Buckle.  It later became PV Silver Slendor, owned by John Caestecker who posted earlier in this thread.  The CSRR’s other dome, the Dorothea Mae, is former GN 1329 from the mid-century Empire Builder.  Several of the coaches appear to be former CN EMU cars from the Deux Montagnes line in Montreal.

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/19 13:03 by DavidP.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0563 seconds