Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Passenger Trains > Car number needed for wrecked Amtrak Dome Sleeper Lge in the S

Date: 11/03/19 12:56
Car number needed for wrecked Amtrak Dome Sleeper Lge in the S
Author: BuddPullman

Car number needed, if possible.

In December 1978 I visited the Santa Fe Topeka Shops and spotted a wrecked Vista Dome Sleeping car built for the "North Coast Limited". The car was sitting with some other wreck damaged Amtrak cars. It was sad to see the damage to such a great car.  I took a couple of photos before I moved on.  Unfortunately, I did capture the Amtrak car number.  I am not aware if it was a former NP, CB&Q or SP&S car.

If anyone has a record of a wrecked NCL Vista Dome sleeper that had both been converted to a "Lounge In the Sky" arrangement by NP and that had been operating in Amtrak service in the new colors, I would appreciate any information available.

Thank you in advance!   

Date: 11/03/19 13:08
Re: Car number needed for wrecked Amtrak Dome Sleeper Lge in the
Author: dan

i bet it was on the SW chief that was derailed on purpose at Delhi colo, NP 308

someone left a truck on the tracks iirc   somewhere here on t/o somone had the estimate  topeka wrote up on it, before the decision to shoot it   :o(   web lurker said it was met it's end in Beech grove

what about the cars at southern furniture?  any info?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/19 13:14 by dan.

Date: 11/03/19 13:12
Author: SandHouseTalk

AMTK 9221, Delhi, CO, Train 4.

Date: 11/03/19 13:46
Author: BuddPullman

Thank you both for the quick responses!  

Amtrak 9221 would make it former BN - NP 376, ex NP 308.  Very good to know.

I was not aware of this particular derailment in Colorado of train 4.  Thank you. 

Date: 11/03/19 13:49
Author: SandHouseTalk

Date: 11/03/19 13:55
Author: Topfuel

Great documentation, BP.  As you noted, it's always sad to see wreck damaged cars, especially a feature car such as a dome sleeper, but it's good to see additional photos of wreck damaged equipment for the historical record.  Other photos of this car after the wreck show that Amtrak didn't just retire this car because it had a few dents in the fluting (or flatting, in this case).

Date: 11/03/19 14:13

came close to losing a PPC

Date: 11/03/19 22:55
Author: Pioneer2526

It’s sister #309 is at the NP museum inToppenish Wa. I saw it last summer unrestored but in good shape

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/04/19 13:16
Author: chakk

Rode one of these cars on the NCL from CHI to SEA in Sept 1969 --in one of the single bedrooms beneath the dome.  Sorry, but at age 19 I wasn't in to recording car numbers on my planned "Around America" journeys before resuming college in the fall.

Date: 11/05/19 00:00

Well the 308 was probably drug out of the way on it's side.  Hope all the good dome frames lights seats were saved and whatever else, fans, under car stuff?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0358 seconds