Home Open Account Help 263 users online

Passenger Trains > Jonesie Fly-By on 6 Today at Dutch Flat (Donner Pass)

Date: 11/07/19 13:26
Jonesie Fly-By on 6 Today at Dutch Flat (Donner Pass)
Author: BoilingMan

Ha!  Here you go, Mark!
SR

Mark commented that he'd seen me out with the camera a couple days ago when I shot his late #6 at Gorge.  He also added they'd have a pair of Amtrak's Heritage Units today and he'd be looking for me...

Date: 11/07/19 14:08
Re: Jonesie Fly-By on 6 Today at Dutch Flat (Donner Pass)
Author: PasadenaSub

Great fisheye composition with everything encapsulated, including the complete grade crossing gates.

Rich

Date: 11/07/19 14:10
Author: mp51w

I see three heritage units.  LOL!

Date: 11/07/19 14:23

mp51w Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I see three heritage units.  LOL!

True that- AND he’s easily the senior of the three!
SR

Date: 11/07/19 18:01
Author: IC_2024

BoilingMan Wrote:
> mp51w Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I see three heritage units.  LOL!
>
> True that- AND he’s easily the senior of the
> three!
> SR

Haha, thanks SR and Jim—yup, from the “Tracks are back” era and then some as the Amtk 1970’s promo button proudly proclaimed.
Nice angle and way to get up high on the truck, too, SR— always neat seeing you and the rest of the faithful ( Dick Dorn and James Schlinger were West of Soda Springs as well) out lineside. Also of note: our short train w/ the transition car, 2 sleepers, cross country cafe-diner, lounge, coach and coach bag. 7 cars w/ 2 motors = rocket ship! Yesterday, we arrived EMY w/ same consist at 307P— one of the fastest runs I’ve made over the territory for sure.

Date: 11/07/19 18:13

They left Chicago without a bagg?   That sounds like a pain for someone!
SR

I heard you guys rolling by a WB only a mile or two by, so I quickly cleared out not wanting to alarm anyone!    (I'd set up a ladder in the back of a pickup truck- a bit of a spectacle)

Date: 11/07/19 18:24

BoilingMan Wrote:
> They left Chicago without a bagg?   That sounds
> like a pain for someone!
> SR
>
> I heard you guys rolling by a WB only a mile or
> two by, so I quickly cleared out not wanting to
> alarm anyone!    (I'd set up a ladder in the
> back of a pickup truck- a bit of a spectacle)

Pax load is soo light right now, SR, that it’s not a big deal w/ just the coach bag. Leaving EMY this AM, I told Condr TopCat “Bro” Jones that maybe we had 50 passengers at most, and he said “Yup, 48!” Always light loads early Nov until we max out from Thanksgiving to Christmas as you well remember!

Yea, we met that WB right at Baxter while “puppyman” Nestell rolled us by as well! Glad you cleared for them — you were kind of tight up to the one track, and that’s somewhat of a blind curve coming west. And, you did look precariously balanced on that ladder!! What we do for the shot, eh?!?

Date: 11/07/19 18:42

I was clear- inside the rail on The Ditch culvert.  But still..
SR

I worked the cafe on #6 one February a few years back.  The regular had twisted an ankle or something, and they asked me to fill in.  (Oakland LSA's otherwise don't have rights to work the Zephyr)  Anyway, I don't think there were all of 50 passengers in the coaches!   I brought the camera and a screwdriver.   Had a great trip, a nice dinner in Chicago, and flew home.

Screwdriver?   Yeah-  Amtrak "secures" the side door windows on SuperLiner Lounge/Cafes & Diners.  Any LSA or Chef worth his salt packs a screwdriver...

Date: 11/07/19 18:44
Author: Quakerengr

Amtrak's #1 Hogger.  There you go Mark!!    Also,  thanks for paying In!!!!

PWM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/19 18:44 by Quakerengr.

Date: 11/07/19 20:42

I like the screwdriver story and how you worked 6’s lounge car, SR— brought mine along years ago, as well.
PWM— yea, am still enjoying the ride and it’s a pleasure “paying in” to your well deserved retirement, sir. Feel like I’ve retired already since the hardest part of the job is blowing the whistle and waving at all the pretty girls- haha— and SR, too lol!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0549 seconds