Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Passenger Trains > CTA Green Line question

Date: 11/08/19 11:10
CTA Green Line question
Author: TheIndianaConnection

I was watching some of the new CTA head end videos put up on the tube of you, and kind of wondered about the Green Line destinations.  If you get on a green line train in the Loop heading toward Garfield, what decides which green line train will go to Ashland, vs Cottage Grove?  Do they just alternate trains headed that way?  I've spent a lot of time in Chicago and have ridden the L a lot, but never have been on the Green Line, which seems like it's the only CTA route that splits mid route, but is still the same "color" Green to multiple endpoints.     Included a map from the CTA website of routes for those also curious but not famililliar with the Green Line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/19 11:17 by TheIndianaConnection.

Date: 11/08/19 11:18
Re: CTA Green Line question
Author: joemvcnj

They alternate branches. 

Date: 11/08/19 11:21
Author: kevink

As far as I know, trains alternate between the south side destinations.One train goes to Ashland/ 63rd and the next one to Cottage Grove

Date: 11/08/19 13:18
Author: kbmiflyer

It is pretty clear on the train as it arrives where each one is going.  I think the cottage grove sign is even green letters on white background or something. 

Before the pink line was created, the blue line did the same thing splitting on the west side and either going to cermack (current pink line) or forest park.  The pink line came about by just building a short connection between Ashland and Polk.

Date: 11/08/19 14:23
Author: TheIndianaConnection

Thanks everyone!   I watched a few more videos and it was as exactly as you describe.  Ashland is the normal green background with white letters, while Cottage Grove is green letters on white background. The signs at the stations even show it as such, i never noticed it before.   I also did not know that about the Blue line and Pink line.  Thanks!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0304 seconds