Home Open Account Help 229 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak Fatailty CHI YD Last Night - Radio Silent

Date: 11/10/19 09:06
Amtrak Fatailty CHI YD Last Night - Radio Silent
Author: PC1974

Last night a mechanical department employee was killed at the diesel shop after being crushed/pinned by a traction motor. There are no details posted on Social Media or Local News at this time. That fits right in with a recent change to shut up bad press by DJ Stadler. Amtrak EVP...

Is anyone curious as to how Amtrak's much touted first in the railroad industry new Safety Management System (SMS) failed to prevent this from happening?

See previous link:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,4893670,4893670#msg-4893670

Disclaimer: "Me No Governed by Standards of Excellence"

Date: 11/10/19 09:09
Re: Amtrak Fatailty CHI YD Last Night - Radio Silent
Author: JohnM

Anyone here work or worked for an organization that allows or allowed you to flap your gums freely?  

It's an unfortunate tragedy and hopefully through whatever measures are necessary reduce the risk of it happening again.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/19 10:55 by JohnM.

Date: 11/10/19 10:14
Author: radar

The press is trying to survive financially.  Having enough staff to cover an industrial accident on Saturday night is unlikely.  When workplace safety agencies release information on Monday, then it might get covered.

Date: 11/10/19 10:30
Author: jst3751

PC1974 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Disclaimer: "Me No Governed by Standards of
> Excellence"

Yep, that pretty much sums up your posts.

Date: 11/10/19 11:34
Author: dan

That is terrible

Date: 11/10/19 12:06
Author: joemvcnj

Former Rep. John Mica was not entirely off-base when he said Amtrak is a Soviet-style RR. 

Date: 11/10/19 12:59
Author: ProAmtrak

How could Mica prove that when the Soviets have a very nice passenger system that covers a lot more territory than here in the states and pretty much maintained!

Date: 11/10/19 13:07
Author: joemvcnj

They kept disasters secret. 

Date: 11/10/19 13:40
Author: gbmott

ProAmtrak Wrote:
> How could Mica prove that when the Soviets have a
> very nice passenger system that covers a lot more
> territory than here in the states and pretty much
> maintained!

That is a recent phenomenon.  If you had ridden their passenger trains in the ‘80s you would have a different opinion.

Gordon

Date: 11/10/19 13:41
Re: Amtrak Fatality CHI YD Last Night - Radio Silent
Author: choodude

Sigh.  Sometimes I wonder what planet folks here on Train Orders are living on.

On this page one can learn that 5,147 workers died in 2017 in the USA.  That is more than 14 deaths EVERY WORK LONG DAY!!!!!

https://www.osha.gov/oshstats/commonstats.html

So where are the headlines for those folks?

Of Course!!!  There is a cover up for an accident that happened on a weekend in a shop buried deep in an industrial wasteland!!!!   Sir, I'm afraid there is a head shaped hole in the drywall near my desk.

What I'd expect will happen is that the company will gather facts, produce a report to be distributed for the Monday morning phone in business meetings in every department and a presentation for a full Safety Meeting type stand down for the Mechanical Department.

I'll bet the usual suspects will publish a copy of the internal memos shortly.

It's not like the Chester, PA wreck where service was suspended on a very busy line out in the open for all the local News helicopters to see.

Brian

Date: 11/10/19 16:30
Author: PC1974

Below is an accurate statement about me. The fear of real accountability scares many behind the iron curtain, for many apathy rules.

PC1974 Wrote:
> Disclaimer: "Me No Governed by Standards of
> Excellence"

Yep, that pretty much sums up your posts.

Date: 11/10/19 16:50
Author: Duna

PC1974 Wrote:
> Below is an accurate statement about me. The fear
> of real accountability scares many behind the iron
> curtain, for many apathy rules.
>

Iron curtain? What are you refering to?

Date: 11/10/19 17:32
Author: Lackawanna484

That's an awful way to die.  Condolences to the family, and to the co-workers who have to deal with this tragedy.

Date: 11/11/19 19:32
Author: Jimbo

Here is a link to a report today of the death from the Chicago Sun-Times.  There is not much information.   

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/2019/11/11/20960084/man-killed-industrial-accident-south-loop-amtrak-rail-yard-lumber-street

Date: 11/12/19 09:21
Author: PHall

Jimbo Wrote:
> Here is a link to a report today of the death from
> the Chicago Sun-Times.  There is not much
> information.   
>
> https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/2019/11/11/20960
> 084/man-killed-industrial-accident-south-loop-amtr
> ak-rail-yard-lumber-street

Most industrial accidents like this one get a small write up in the paper and that's it. Mostly because that's about all of the publically releasable infomation available.
You want more info? Try OSHA and whatever the Illinois version of OSHA is. They're the ones doing the investigation and will be the ones who release the results of their investigations.

Date: 11/12/19 09:33
Author: Jimbo

Here is an addition this morning to the Sun-Times article:

“We are deeply saddened by the death of an Amtrak Mechanical employee on Saturday night at our Chicago mechanical facility,” Amtrak spokesman Marc Magliari said in an email. He declined to comment further.

Date: 11/12/19 15:18
Author: GenePoon

Amtrak Mechanical Worker Dead After Industrial Accident
WBBM
November 11, 2019 at 3:19 pm
Filed Under:Amtrak, Amtrak Worker, Lumber Street 

CHICAGO (CBS) — An Amtrak mechanical worker died in an industrial accident over the weekend.Amtrak spokeswoman Kimberly Woods said the worker died in the Amtrak mechanical facility at the rail yard at 1600 S. Lumber St. The accident happened Saturday night. No other injuries were reported and an investigation was under way. Reports of exactly what happened were not immediately confirmed.The Cook County Medical Examiner’s office said the unidentified worker died of multiple blunt force injuries in an industrial accident.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/11/11/amtrak-mechanical-worker-dead-after-industrial-accident/

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1445 seconds