Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Passenger Trains > "LIRR Notches Dramatic Railroad Crossing Safety Improvements"

Date: 11/26/19 11:11
"LIRR Notches Dramatic Railroad Crossing Safety Improvements"
Author: joemvcnj

http://www.mta.info/news-lirr-long-island-rail-road-safety-grade-crossings-delineators-fra/2019/11/26/lirr-notches

"The delineators and a partnership with Google/Waze have in their first year virtually eliminated the problem of motorists inadvertently turning onto tracks, which until last year had been happening with increased frequency – 21 times a year. The FRA is recommending other railroads across the country review research on the LIRR program and consider making similar upgrades at problematic areas."

Date: 11/26/19 15:52
Re: "LIRR Notches Dramatic Railroad Crossing Safety Improvements"
Author: RevRandy

In Prague this summer, I notice that at all of the cross-streets or crossoversbetween the boulevard lanes that were separated by the tram tracks there were lighted red markers to discourage turning onto the tracks.  These were low-mounted (about 12 inches/30cm) outisde of and between the tracks but very visibly creating a red barrier for the whole of the trackage.  At the time I wondered why we don't see more of that here.  On a later trip I realized that the units appeared to be solar powered so they did not need extensive and expensive wiring.    The LIRR markers seem a good alternative. 

Date: 11/27/19 05:57
Re: "LIRR Notches Dramatic Railroad Crossing Safety Improvements"
Author: RRTom

May be more time is needed, but zero incursions where the delineators were installed compared to 21 the year before is impressive.  Nice to see some real progress with grade crossing safety.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0334 seconds