Home Open Account Help 277 users online

Passenger Trains > Where's Amtrak's Cyber Monday Deals?

Date: 12/02/19 18:27
Where's Amtrak's Cyber Monday Deals?
Author: tq-07fan

Greyhound has fifty percent off today for trips in January and February. The other big bus line has truly unrealistic deals today for trips in January but they are for real. Amtrak, has no deals today, fares are same as they ever were. Why doesn't Amtrak figure it out and get asses in the seats in January and February by having a one day sale on Cyber Monday? 

Jim

Edit: SEE BELOW for my later reply before you completely lose your mind!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/19 07:07 by tq-07fan.

Date: 12/02/19 19:27
Re: Where's Amtrak's Cyber Monday Deals?
Author: JohnM

Final day to save on select travelAmtrak's Track Friday is almost over. Book now to save up to 35% on your upcoming travel aboard select Amtrak=10px !important® routes. Go on a weekend getaway or enjoy a day trip downtown for less.

Date: 12/02/19 19:57
Author: mundo

Amtrak has had one for a while, received a reminder this morning that today was the last day.

Maybe only went to Guest Rewards members.

Date: 12/02/19 20:25
Author: joemvcnj

I don't think it matters much when such sales are offered or that they must be done only on Cyber Monday. Greyhound is hardly a succesful business model any other carrier should follow.

Posted from Android

Date: 12/02/19 21:47
Author: Railfan2

The Amtrak store didnt even have ttheir 10% off cyber monday deal

Date: 12/03/19 00:02
Author: OTG

Railfan2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Amtrak store didnt even have ttheir 10% off
> cyber monday deal

They had a 15% off deal, as well as an exclusive limited box set (I think only 50 of them) with a number of old swag items.

Date: 12/03/19 07:04

Dammit! I wish I would have asked this earlier in the day yesterday. My apologies to Amtrak. I have been an Amtrak Guest Rewards member for over a dozen years I would guess. I looked and haven't received any emails recently from them. Tonight when I have more time I will have to figure out why I no longer receive the emails from Amtrak.  I even logged on Friday night to book a ticket from Ft Worth to OKC and if anything about the Track Friday sale came up I must have missed it. I guess they had sales, just not for people like me who like to ride buses!

Jim

Date: 12/03/19 14:50
Author: sums007

Railfan2 Wrote:
> The Amtrak store didnt even have ttheir 10% off
> cyber monday deal

Ya gotta break even somehow, LOL.

Date: 12/03/19 20:52
Author: RuleG

joemvcnj Wrote:
> I don't think it matters much when such sales are
> offered or that they must be done only on Cyber
> Monday. Greyhound is hardly a succesful business
> model any other carrier should follow.
>
Greyhound's success or lack thereof has zero relevance to whether entities involved in intercity passenger should offer Cyber Monday deals.

I am on the e-mail distribution lists for Amtrak and Greyhound.  Unfortunately, it is Greyhound that does more on-line marketing than Amtrak.

Date: 12/04/19 06:46

My Amtrak account profile shows things were toggled for receiving Amtrak Notices Promotions and Partner by email but not by mail and NO to the AGR credit card offers in any way even though they mailed me an incredible offer for the AGR card several months ago. On the computer those are how the toggles were set. Going through the Amtrak App on the phone and into Amtrak Guest Rewards, which I thought were now one in the same I found a toggle set to off for offers. I know I turned one off a while back because instead off relevant usable offers they kept sending me the same Bullcrap wine offer which is something I would never buy. I don't know how I got to that toggle on the phone when I couldn't find it on the computer. It's like not being able to find a table at the train show the second time around. Like I said when looked at the computer everything was set to receive offer emails even though I haven't received anything other than my ticket lately. I couldn't get to the other place using the computer.

joemvcnj Wrote:
> I don't think it matters much when such sales are
> offered or that they must be done only on Cyber
> Monday. Greyhound is hardly a succesful business
> model any other carrier should follow.
>
> Posted from Android

So basically you are saying that Amtrak is the model of how a business or one's life should be ran? Well, that"s a nice view of the World. The reality is on Cyber Monday I bought a more or less non-refundable ticket on Greyhound and more than one on Megabus. Amtrak zero because I didn't receive an email for whatever reason and the regular Amtrak site didn't make any sale obvious. Cyber Monday is real...

Jim

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/19 06:54 by tq-07fan.

Date: 12/04/19 07:47
Author: joemvcnj

tq-07fan Wrote:

> So basically you are saying that Amtrak is the
> model of how a business or one's life should be
> ran? Well, that"s a nice view of the World. The
> reality is on Cyber Monday I bought a more or less
> non-refundable ticket on Greyhound and more than
> one on Megabus. Amtrak zero because I didn't
> receive an email for whatever reason and the
> regular Amtrak site didn't make any sale obvious.
> Cyber Monday is real...
>
> Jim

People shop for tickets when for when they are ready to commit to travel to a specific place at a specific time, which has nothing to do with Xmas shopping for merchandise or Cyber Monday
Amtrak, unlike Greyhound, has not lost 75% of their system over the last 35 years. .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/19 08:06 by joemvcnj.

Date: 12/04/19 18:17
Author: RedFusee

Greyhound has already celebrated it's 100th birthday. Will Amtrak get to do the same?

Posted from Android

Date: 12/07/19 14:47
Author: YoungOldHead

joemvcnj Wrote:

> Amtrak, unlike Greyhound, has not lost 75% of
> their system over the last 35 years. .

How has Greyhound lost 75% of their system? The only thing Greyhound "owns" system wise are busses, maintenance facilities and bus depots. They operate on the Interstate Highway System. Of which, I am not aware 75%  has been removed or shut down excluding possibly 1% (shooting from the hip) for repairs/expansion etc. Factually Greyhound has CHOSEN to cancel certain bus routes. On spome their passengers use a "train bridge" via Amtrak to make connections now.

No offense, I would love to see factual evidence that Greyhound has physically lost 75% of their "system". Excluding their (corporate decisions) i.e selling off/disposal of busses, bus depots maintenance facilities and ellimination of routes which they now transfer passengers on to Amtrak to make bus connections.

Date: 12/07/19 15:26
Author: mundo

Along with having been a20 year Amtrak "Gold Spike" commission agent, also handled Greyhound ticket sales in two small California Towns.
Was able to build up sales, including package express, just by some advertising and "news releases" in the local newspapers. Even set up a credit account for one express shipper and guess what, it worked!.   Now   UPS.

In try to convince Greyhound management that a schedule change on one of the routes, would not only save route miles, but meet the needs of the passengers.  Found that GL management was dead in the wool, "can"T" do that, just taking a page from the SP and PC..  Now that route went from three trips a day to NONE.

The other route went from five on weekdays, 7 on Sundays  to  only one  today.

So , these two routes far exceed 75%   reduction - loss - cancellation  or what ever one wants to call it.

Several reasons beyond the blind managemen, but a major issue was that the stockholders wanted dividends, just like Wall Street wants from the class 1's and PSR today.

Date: 12/07/19 20:19

There you have brought up an important point. Greyhound is a for profit corporation, Amtrak is Government operated. I really do not know what cutting 75 % of Greyhound runs has to do with Amtrak not having a better sale on Cyber Monday? Does having a sale on tickets not say that maybe Greyhound wants your business? Not all the routes that Greyhound discontinued are completely gone as many have been spun off to various Trailways and other bus operators. Greyhound certainly is not the system or carrier it was 35 years ago, but neither is Amtrak.  

Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0694 seconds