Home Open Account Help 259 users online

Passenger Trains > Coast Starlight questions

Date: 12/07/19 20:30
Coast Starlight questions
Author: JAmtrak

I am leaving on the CS from emeryville to Seattle Monday. Basically what type of scenery will I see and anything in particular I should be looking out for? TIA AIA KFC

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/07/19 20:49
Re: Coast Starlight questions
Author: roustabout

JAmtrak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am leaving on the CS from emeryville to Seattle
> Monday. Basically what type of scenery will I see
> and anything in particular I should be looking out
> for? TIA AIA KFC
>
> Posted from iPhone

Figure sunrise somewhere between Black Butte and Klamath Falls.  Lots of scenery from there to Eugene, mountains and rivers.  Willamette Valley is pretty, watch for foamer waving (me) at Shedd north of Eugene.

Date: 12/07/19 20:56
Author: railstiesballast

KFC:
(?)  Just a leap of logic on those acronyms.....
Scenery:
On time dawn will be just as you arrive at Klamath Falls.  If it is clear you will still be able to see Mt. Shasta in the south.  You will pass through, and stop at the north end of the UP yard, the BNSF junction is at the south end of the UP yard.  Right after you depart K-Falls you pass along the shore of Klamath Lake with views of mountain off to the west.  Then you will wind up into a canyon in the forest with glimpses of the river and maybe some snow in shady spots.  For a long ways it gets kind of boring (in my opinon) with lots of cut-over forest on plains, but with enough trees to block views of distant mountains.
As you break out of the plains you will go by Odell Lake, then Cascade Summit begins the spectacular descent down to Oakridge.  The RR clings to the side of the mountain and passes through avalanche sheds (open on the north side) and tunnels and over steeply cascading creeks.  This part is what is common in the Alps of France, Switzerland, or Italy, the best views are on the right side of the train.
The line begins roughly NW, then turns back to SE, before turning back to the NW on a high viaduct over Salt Creek.  After you leave Oakridge (the first town you will see since Chemault) you go through about 4000 ft. of tunnel and right after that you can look to the left and see a covered bridge, the "Office" bridge as it once connected the office complex to a sawmill.  Shortly thereafter you will see Lookout Resevoir on the right side, likely to be very low this time of year.
Yes, it is a good ride.

Date: 12/07/19 22:05
Author: JAmtrak

TIA thanks in advance
AIA apologies in advance since a lot of these posts are corrected by other members who know it all.
KFC I love chicken

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/07/19 22:30
Author: ln844south

The east side of the train descending the hill north of Chemult Oregon, for the best views would be the right side in the direction of travel leaving Chemult.  One of the things as docents we point out is 21 tunnels some with snow sheds on the decent. The decent is a leisure 33mph in most locations. IF there is fresh snow up there, it is really a treat.  You will pass Crescent Lake where there is still a water tank on the left, next Odell lake on the right then Cascade Summit and the first tunnel. Also around mp 572 just as you exit the short tunnel, look up to the right and see the large overhanging granite rock .Town of Oakridge which was the home of Cab Forwards used in helper service, another tunnel then Westfir with a covered bridge on the left, This was a large sawmill town. The Lookout reservoir was mentioned. North of Eugene is mostly farm land.
IT was also mentioned above about the Williamson River Gorge. IT is on the left side of the train.I'll give you some land marks so you will know when to look.
Leaving Klamath Falls, get on the left side of the Sight Seer Lounge to see the lake. Bald Eagles are common through here. You leave the lake at Modoc Point. The siding there is full of stored box cars.
About ten miles further you will go through Chiloquin. UP has a MOW yard there. This is also the bottom of Calimus hill. Another approx 8 miles is the siding at Calumus which is on the right side of the train. Just north of there start looking to the left and you will shortly pass the Gorge. This is a very scenic spot and a best kept secret since it is pretty inaccessible.

Steve Panzik
Chiloquin, Or

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/19 13:06 by ln844south.

Date: 12/07/19 23:47
Author: wzd

And if the train is really late, you might see the Sacramento River Canyon, Dunsmuir, Cantara Loop and good views of Mt Shasta.

Date: 12/08/19 05:42
Author: andersonb109

I think the train passes a KFC near ALB. Good grief. 

Date: 12/08/19 09:30
Author: jp1822

Recent trips on the northbound Coast Starlight, I've been able to see more of the scenery south of Dunsmuir in daylight and it really is spectacular! I often prefer this scenery than some of the Cascade Mtn scenery (or from the Chemult area to the "climb up"). Sometimes its been lunch coming in and out of Klamath Falls and dinner starting after Eugene. Destination northbound on Coast Starlight for me has always been Portland and then car rental out to the Oregon Coast. Course late arrival into Portland means the extra haul out to the airport to get a rental car (as downtown locations are closed) and the extra fees with both rental from airport and taxi out there.....

And the lateness northbound stems from either a late departure out of LA (various reasons - equipment delay or hold for connections) or a delay in the Bay Area from Oakland to Sacramento...... Once out of Sacramento its a race to try and makeup any delays. On paper, one would think time could be made up getting from San Jose to Sacramento, but that hasn't happened in a LONG time. 

Date: 12/08/19 10:50
Author: bobs

Twice I've had the good fortune to take this trip after an overnight snowfall and it is just spectacular going up through the mountains.  Both times there had been no wind, so the snow was heavy on the evergreens with sun glint.  Like a postcard. 

Date: 12/08/19 11:40
Author: asheldrake

may be some activity at the Oregon Rail Heritage Center in SE Portland on Tuesday as crews continue to keep the 4449 warm with hot water from the steam generator car as the crew heads to the third and final weekend of Holiday Express...enjoy crossing Portland's world unique Steel Bridge built in 1912 to replace the 1888 swinger.....unique in that it is a double lift...bottom goes up for small ships,,,,,bottom and top go up for tall ones.   if a "smoke" break in Portland, take a quick look at our Union Station.....   Arlen

Date: 12/08/19 11:41
Author: dcfbalcoS1

I like Kentucky Fried Chicken too bt not sure where all their places are along that line. As far as the other initial only items, didn't have a clue since it wasn't spelled out at least once in the original question so, for coded words I don't care and cannot waste my time on them when no effort is put into it in the beginning.
       Best answer I have: Look out the window as that is what I do.

Date: 12/08/19 22:23
Author: DevalDragon

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the train passes a KFC near ALB. Good
> grief. 

No, I think it was a Popeye's. At least that's what I have in my notes from my last trip.

Date: 12/09/19 09:30
Author: Tower_A-20

Also, remember that LSMFT!

Posted from iPhone

Erik Leeper
Phoenix, AZ

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.075 seconds