Home Open Account Help 271 users online

Passenger Trains > FL: More about Tri-Rail into Miami Central station

Date: 12/08/19 17:17
FL: More about Tri-Rail into Miami Central station
Author: Lackawanna484

The physical connection enabling the south Florida Tri-Rail line to access the BrightLine's Miami Central station has been done for months, and test runs were conducted in the Summer. But, it may be a while before Tri-Rail train passengers see the inside of the bright new station.

This recent article says Positive Train Control is the culprit.  The version of PTC used by Tri-Rail differs from that used by BrightLine, and federal OK is required before the connection can be made.  That, in turn, requires BrightLine and FEC to receive federal approval. The status of PTC on the FEC / BrightLine is not clear from the article.

(The picture used in the article is of a Tri-Rail train in the station at Miami International Airport.)

https://www.miamitodaynews.com/2019/12/03/tri-rail-into-downtown-miami-awaits-brightlines-action/

Date: 12/10/19 09:52
Re: FL: More about Tri-Rail into Miami Central station
Author: Jishnu

The difference in OTC echnologies ebtween the two is substantial.

Tri-Rail uses I-ETMS, like the big freight railroads.

FEC uses E-ATC, which has similarities with ACSES.

In order for Tri-Rail trains to make it to MiamiCentral either FEC engines and cab cars have to be equipped with both systems, or the trackage between CP Iris and Miami Central has to be equipped with both systems. I don't know which approach theya re taking, but either will take significant effort.

This sort of dual system would not be a first. Many Amtrak lomotives are equpped with both ACSES and I-ETMS and there is asignificant segment of the NEC which is equipped with I-ETMS in addition to ACSES.

Date: 12/10/19 18:55
Re: FL: More about Tri-Rail into Miami Central station
Author: Mikey0191

Over the span of the last few months Tri Rail has completed ATC retro fitting to all active locomotives and cab cars in order to be allowed to lead on FEC trackage per their rules. The retrofit included full installation of ATC hardware (cab signal box and associated components) used on Brightline and FEC locomotives. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0435 seconds