Home Open Account Help 249 users online

Passenger Trains > Michigan Finally Gets Chargers

Date: 01/08/20 08:54
Michigan Finally Gets Chargers
Author: 79mph

It appears that Michigan has finally transitioned this week to all-Charger power.
Still some of the now-4 year old Midwest group of locomotives have been little used anywhere, if at all.
Sitting at Pueblo for several years in storage...believed to be still 2 or 3 out there rotting down.
And two of the Midwestern units apparently already wrecked beyond repair in garden variety relatively minor crossing incidents.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/20 08:55 by 79mph.

Date: 01/08/20 09:10
Re: Michigan Finally Gets Chargers
Author: joemvcnj

What were the reasons for the hold up ?

Posted from Android

Date: 01/08/20 11:15

Nobody has said.
One possible excuse was alleged difficulty in adapting these old locomotives to new space-age state of the art PTC technology.

Date: 01/08/20 11:19
Author: KM-ML4000

Only 1 Charger remains at TTCI, and it is very active in the testing and qualification of the new Siemens single level passenger cars that are being built for the Midwest and Northern California Services.

The reason in the delay in introducing Chargers into Michigan service, was largely the develpment of the ITCS PTC platform for the Charger by Alstom.

Date: 01/08/20 12:31

It would be 4608 that is still in Colorado.
Four others were finally moved to Chicago during 2019 and just introduced to service within the past 60 days....I believe 4605 4606 4607 of the early units, and 4627 of later production.

Date: 01/08/20 12:38

There are currently 3-4 Chargers out of service due to collision damages incurred while in service. I can not say with any certainty at this time, but I believe all are repairable, but there are several hurdles that need to be cleared before work can commence. One of the huge factor is that Siemens stocks virtually none of the parts needed to repair the heavy collision damages. These are long lead time parts, and we are talking 24+ months once the order is placed with Siemens.

Date: 01/08/20 12:45
Author: joemvcnj

Given the huge amount of grade crossing accidents we have, and will have in LD service, part of the deal  should be requiring some of these unique spare part items as part of the order. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/20 17:43 by joemvcnj.

Date: 01/08/20 13:04
Author: JohnM

Okay.  So what is true?  A rotting fleet in Colorado or one unit active in testing?  

Date: 01/08/20 13:21
Author: retcsxcfm

Darn,
I thought you were talking about Dodges.

Uncle Joe
Seffner,Fl.

Date: 01/08/20 13:27

Considering I am riding behind the Charger at TTCI as I write this, you can make your own decession as to which statement is correct.
JohnM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Okay.  So what is true?  A rotting fleet in
> Colorado or one unit active in testing?  

Date: 01/08/20 15:10
Author: Lackawanna484

BrightLine / Virgin US has been very lucky. In spite of the many grade crossings in south Florida, the few collisions with vehicles haven't been a problem.  I believe the biggest thing they've hit is a box truck

The info about such a lead time for parts is surprising. Given the number of grade crossings, I would expect somebody is putting aside a few parts for rush orders.  Of course, Tesla has seen some of the same problems.  As anyone who has damaged a car knows...

Date: 01/08/20 17:40
Author: MEKoch

Usually when you buy a major product, such as a locomotive, you order spare parts.  And you set up an arrangement with vendors to be ready to produce the products.  Anything less than what I describe is utter incompetence on the part of Amtrak.  

Date: 01/08/20 17:54

So can it be accepted that both theories are true?
The majority of the Charger fleet sat for three or four years one place or another, and Colorado was generally where they sat.
The whole point of the post was to make the positive announcement that this week, after almost a decade of talk, Michigan finally has its new locomotives in service on all of its trains.
Given the issue of spare parts mentioned above, though, one must wonder for how long this will be true.
Also, if there are those who know, has it been decided where and by whom repairs are to be made?
State owned, but with service contracts in place with Siemens, does that mean they go back to California for work?

Date: 01/08/20 19:32
Author: Lackawanna484

I was told that Siemens has service advisors in Florida, working with BrightLine.  It's also possible that the warehouse at the BrightLine shops in West Palm Beach has some repair parts, etc.  As noted up thread, that's usually part of an equipment procurement deal

Date: 01/08/20 19:36
Author: jst3751

MEKoch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anything less than what I
> describe is utter incompetence on the part of
> Amtrak.  

Well, being that these are not owned or purchased by Amtrak...

Date: 01/09/20 06:51

The States are currently negotiating TSSSA contracts with Siemens to provide technical support and parts. The process has been slow, but is moving forward. The difference at Virgin Trains is, all equipment is maintained by Siemens.

As for the major collision damage repairs, there has not been any firm decision made as to who will do the work.

Regarding the units stored at TTCI, this was due to the rate that SIemens was producing locomotives, and the need for each locomotive to be tested at TTCI. The rate the units were shipped to Chicago was based on Amtrak needs, and what they felt they could handle in terms of storage, training, and other factors. The locomotives were actively run while at TTCI, and fully maintained by Siemens. In fact, the Chargers at TTCI supported lots of R&D and design refinements as well as supporting other testing needs for the States and Siemens. The notion that these locomotives were there just sitting is false.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/20 09:36 by KM-ML4000.

Date: 01/10/20 12:07

Well the clean sweep only lasted a couple of days.
P42 #57 back on the Bluewater.

Date: 01/10/20 13:36
Author: inCHI

KM-ML4000, thanks for all the real information!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0515 seconds