Home Open Account Help 213 users online

Passenger Trains > Flex Dining??


Date: 01/11/20 06:22
Flex Dining??
Author: CP8888

Looking at the official Amtrak Flexible Dining menu find:<br />Breakfast  6:30 - 10:00 AM<br />Lunch       11:30-3:00   PM<br />Dinner       5:00-  9:30  PM    (same items as lunch)<br /><br />This looks no different than hours for the traditional dining cars.



Date: 01/11/20 09:17
Re: Flex Dining??
Author: RevRandy

yes, but there will not set seatings, and when you are done you are free to stay ... even into the hours between.  The car is available as lounge fo 24 hours a day.



Date: 01/11/20 09:29
Re: Flex Dining??
Author: FloridaTrainGuy

RevRandy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> yes, but there will not set seatings, and when you
> are done you are free to stay ... even into the
> hours between.  The car is available as lounge fo
> 24 hours a day.

Yeah this is the best part of this new plan.



Date: 01/11/20 10:20
Re: Flex Dining??
Author: jp1822

FloridaTrainGuy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> RevRandy Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > yes, but there will not set seatings, and when
> you
> > are done you are free to stay ... even into the
> > hours between.  The car is available as lounge
> fo
> > 24 hours a day.
>
> Yeah this is the best part of this new plan.

I will vouch whole-heartedly for this. And the LSA is on duty from 6 am to 11 pm. They probably should have something more to sell in terms of snacks in the after 9 pm slot to passengers who use the lounge at night or mid-day!



Date: 01/11/20 11:16
Re: Flex Dining??
Author: FloridaTrainGuy

jp1822 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I will vouch whole-heartedly for this. And the LSA
> is on duty from 6 am to 11 pm. They probably
> should have something more to sell in terms of
> snacks in the after 9 pm slot to passengers who
> use the lounge at night or mid-day!

At least a 24-hour self-serve coffee maker like a K-cup machine and sugar/substitutes and REAL cream (non-refrigerated Mini Moo's).  The last couple of times I took the Silver trains the sleeper coffee maker was not working or the attendant didn't bother to make any coffee.  In any case maybe eliminate the ones in the sleepers and have a nicer setup in the lounge?   



Date: 01/11/20 18:29
Re: Flex Dining??
Author: ProAmtrak

And the bad part, coach passengers are not allowed!



Date: 01/11/20 19:22
Re: Flex Dining??
Author: Cupolau

When my family rode the San Francisco Chief from Fresno to Kansas City there was a Santa Fe employee that moved a cart up and down the aisles in the coach section offering sandwiches and drinks. In this day and age of high tech food appliances why can't  Amtrak offer such a service. Mostly everything that is offered in long distance west coast train lounge cars, except maybe alcohol, could be provided. Why not give it a try.



Date: 01/11/20 20:26
Re: Flex Dining??
Author: Slumbercoach

Cupolau Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When my family rode the San Francisco Chief from
> Fresno to Kansas City there was a Santa Fe
> employee that moved a cart up and down the aisles
> in the coach section offering sandwiches and
> drinks. In this day and age of high tech food
> appliances why can't  Amtrak offer such a
> service. Mostly everything that is offered in long
> distance west coast train lounge cars, except
> maybe alcohol, could be provided. Why not give it
> a try.

Ah, I remember that arrangement well, from my April, 1969 ride on the San Francisco Chief.  Sante Fe called him a News Agent, I'm sure he sold reading material, as well.  He had his base of operations in a pair of facing seats at the rear of the second coach, by the stairway, as I recall.  He also rented pillows at 50 cents for the entire trip.



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/20 14:41 by Slumbercoach.



Date: 01/12/20 13:51
Re: Flex Dining??
Author: ATSF3751

Cupolau Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When my family rode the San Francisco Chief from
> Fresno to Kansas City there was a Santa Fe
> employee that moved a cart up and down the aisles
> in the coach section offering sandwiches and
> drinks. In this day and age of high tech food
> appliances why can't  Amtrak offer such a
> service. Mostly everything that is offered in long
> distance west coast train lounge cars, except
> maybe alcohol, could be provided. Why not give it
> a try.

You are referring to "Coffee Cart Service". 



Date: 01/12/20 15:10
Re: Flex Dining??
Author: gbmott

"Trolley Service" has become very common in the UK and in many cases replaces what had been a buffet in older equipment, and in some cases even a restaurant car.  I am not aware of any large public outcry by passengers who seem to be more focused on on-time performance and increased fares.  Could it be that they view trains as transportation rather than experiences?  Just askin'.

Gordon



Date: 01/12/20 22:41
Re: Flex Dining??
Author: hankster70

Getting into my "way back machine" ,I find myself back in the 60's working  on GN 's Winnipeg Ltd & Gopher Ltd as a "news butch" for a 3rd party operator........crossing the border was easy, the woman were friendly, and occasionally I would take a basket of goodies over to sell on the SOO LINE Winnipeger at Noyes, MN when both southbound were waiting at customs......a different world..... 



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0336 seconds