Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Passenger Trains > did auto train start short dining

Date: 01/16/20 05:25
did auto train start short dining
Author: steamboat

Jan 15Th was the day thay were to start charging coach passengers for meals did it start yet???

Date: 01/16/20 05:28
Re: did auto train start short dining
Author: amtrakbill

This mornings northbound autotrain still had the coach diners running.

Date: 01/16/20 09:54
Author: steamboat

yes there still there. but you have to pay for the food or by it from  food trucks before you get on train. that's what was said last fall.. hope thay did no do it or  thay will loose lots and lots of business

Date: 01/16/20 11:30
Author: mbutte

Auto Train timetable page, effective yesterday, January 15, clearly defining the revised food service offerings - 

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/projects/dotcom/english/public/documents/timetables/Auto-Train-Schedule-011520.pdf

Date: 01/16/20 12:29
Author: DevalDragon

This is a shame. I liked the coach menu better than the sleeper passenger menu.

Date: 01/16/20 12:54
Author: Dcmcrider

mbutte Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Auto Train timetable page, effective yesterday,
> January 15, clearly defining the revised food
> service offerings - 
>
> https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/projects/dotcom
> /english/public/documents/timetables/Auto-Train-Sc
> hedule-011520.pdf

And a link to the menu:

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/projects/dotcom/english/public/documents/menus/routes/Auto-Train-Cafe-Menu-Coach.pdf

Two of the "hot selections" appear to be the same offered in the "Flex Dining" regime: Asian Noodle Bowl and Braised Beef Bowl. Price: $16

Paul Wilson
Arlington, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/20 12:55 by Dcmcrider.

Date: 01/16/20 15:13
Author: ST214

The food downgrades continue. At this point, just take the dining car off and stop behind a fast food restaurant. 

I also noticed the cafe menus have been redone, some routes no longer have pizza. The ones that do only offer cheese. 

Date: 01/16/20 15:45
Author: SP4360

The spiral continues. 

Date: 01/16/20 16:02
Author: GenePoon

ST214 Wrote:

> I also noticed the cafe menus have been redone,
> some routes no longer have pizza. The ones that do
> only offer cheese. 
=============================

How disappointing!  The least they could have done was to offer Impossible Pepperoni Made From Plants.

Date: 01/16/20 16:03
Author: GenePoon

Dcmcrider Wrote:

> Two of the "hot selections" appear to be the same
> offered in the "Flex Dining" regime: Asian Noodle
> Bowl and Braised Beef Bowl. Price: $16

Sixteen dollars for a bowl worth $5!!!! (if that)

Date: 01/16/20 17:54
Author: arrow611

I too lament the lack of availability of the pepperoni pizza on the cafe cars for the "Roanoke Rocket" - weekday trains 171 and 176. Not sure about the weekend trains that terminate in New York for one and (IIRC) Springfield. If they drop the cheese too, I'll definitely be heading upstairs at Washington while they swap engines. Golden Arches almost at the top of the stairs for a quick in and out! Really rather have a REAL dining car though.

Date: 01/16/20 18:26
Author: Wurli1938

Make Anderson ride for a month steady on various trains - might change the food choices and quality.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/16/20 18:51
Author: njfrn

A young non-railfan non-foodie not-stuck-in-the-fifties family I know have been taking the Auto Train for the past several years to visit family in Florida, usually sleeper one way and coach the other due to budget considerations. They canceled their plans this year in favor of flying due to the food service changes, and are sad about it as they thought the dining car experience was the best part of the trip. They enjoy food trucks, but thought Amtrak’s food truck idea was insane, given the departure times. They were also insulted to learn that Amtrak is blaming the changes on Millennials.

I’m not suggesting these folks are representative of the Auto Train’s overall customer base, but I’m sure they’re representative of a segment of it. We shall see.

Date: 01/17/20 08:55
Author: Skyline

Food trucks are great, most places. You buy your food while hot off the grill, eat it nearby or take it to your office. How are Auto Train pax supposed to keep their food hot -- or even luke warm -- given the amount of time between food purchase and boarding?

Date: 01/17/20 13:31
Author: lordsigma

I think the idea is that you eat it right away at the station (a late lunch) and then get a snack or something lighter at the cafe around supper time. I don’t think the food trucks are meant to replace the coach diner It’s just another option for the station. It should be noted that if you did sleeper one way and coach the other you would still have the same dinner experience as before on the sleeper leg. I don’t know that it’s totally representative. I think a lot of people take the auto train for the utility of it. Maybe some people will be angered by the food service change, but it is apparently supposed to be accompanied by a higher availability of cheaper tickets which will probably make up for it for many people.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/20 13:32 by lordsigma.

Date: 01/17/20 13:55
Author: tomdoyle409

mbutte Wrote:
> Auto Train timetable page, effective yesterday,
> January 15, clearly defining the revised food
> service offerings - 
>
> https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/projects/dotcom
> /english/public/documents/timetables/Auto-Train-Sc
> hedule-011520.pdf

It appears that the powers that be did not see the need to have any breakfast choices, on the AT coach cafe menu.  What does a parent do for a child who wakes up hungry at 6:00 AM, with almost three hours to go, if the train is on schedule?  A ramen bowl, perhaps!

Date: 01/17/20 15:06
Author: jp1822

There was an adjustment downward in the coach price for the Auto Train. Does anyone recall what it was? It was a downward price to allow for the uncoupling of the meal service. I guess it is worth it because Amtrak saves on the dining car staff. I believe that was the perspective that was taken. Even if the price was lowered $20 for coach fare, this would still lead to a great deal of savings if Amtrak could reduce the staff.

A Cross Country cafe was to replace the traditional full service dining car. Coach passengers have to PURCHASE their dinner from the Cross Country Cafe car - or the food trucks. I wonder if Amtrak is charging the food trucks for the space they occupy on Lorton or Sanford property. They should because it will grow into a guaranteed business for the food trucks. Presumably Amtrak will put 1 (ONE) LSA in the coach's Superliner Cross Country Cafe. I don't think the coach portion was to get more than one Cross Country Cafe. 

The Sleeping Car passengers are to get traditional dining and I believe the converted Superliner I Lounges (converted from Diners) were to be positioned near the Sleeping Car Diner. Amtrak wanted to keep the service car consist down to allow for sleeping car expansion (add a sleeper as demand warranted). 

So does the Auto Train consist now include:

1) Superliner Cross Country (For Coach Passengers) - open to 11 pm?
2) Superliner Dining Car (For Sleeping Car Passengers)
3) Superliner Lounge (Converted from former Superliner I diners) - open to 11 pm where you can buy snacks and  a beverages - particularly alcoholic beverages, as even when the private RR's operated, this was one way they tried to offset the "loss" of F&B service. 

Amtrak had a descent product here with the Auto Train. And depending on who you talked to at Amtrak - which department etc. - yielded whether they told you the Auto Train came close to breaking even on above rail costs during certain periods of the. Just not sure how bad Amtrak is playing in fire with the Auto Train and instilling these changes......Or whether it will all be fine! 

Date: 01/17/20 19:03
Author: Dcmcrider

tomdoyle409 Wrote:
> It appears that the powers that be did not see the
> need to have any breakfast choices, on the AT
> coach cafe menu.  What does a parent do for a
> child who wakes up hungry at 6:00 AM, with almost
> three hours to go, if the train is on schedule? 
> A ramen bowl, perhaps!

Complimentary continental breakfast still included in the ticket price.

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/projects/dotcom/english/public/documents/timetables/Auto-Train-Schedule-011520.pdf

Paul Wilson
Arlington, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/20 19:04 by Dcmcrider.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0994 seconds