Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Passenger Trains > Micro observation re: Amtrak 48 at Elkhart 1/17/20

Date: 01/17/20 03:04
Micro observation re: Amtrak 48 at Elkhart 1/17/20
Author: JPB

Somewhat related to the 1/13/20 posting re: reduction of the winter consist to 9 cars, I noticed on the Elkhart Live Rail cam that when the eastbound Lake Shore Ltd departed Elkhart OT at around 12:20AM, the Boston-bound sleeper at the head end had all its starboard side room lights on while the two NYP-bound sleepers at the aft end of the consist had only a few room lights on. Suggests to me that given the late hour, not many of the Boston bound sleeper rooms are occupied? And interior lights on the 3 coaches are already turned off after departing the station - maybe not too many eastbound patrons boarded at Elkhart?

Date: 01/17/20 06:36
Re: Micro observation re: Amtrak 48 at Elkhart 1/17/20
Author: Tominde

My experience in coach is that they often do not turn on all lights at the station.  Your mileage may vary.  Can't shed any light on the sleepers.  

Date: 01/17/20 08:21
Author: DavidP

Hmm...I thought New York was supposed to be the city that never sleeps.

Dave

Date: 01/17/20 09:07
Author: GenePoon

Another possibility is that due to a staffing, electrical or mechanical issue, the Boston First Class passengers have been reaccommodated in the New York sleepers.

Date: 01/17/20 09:36
Author: jp1822

In general, I am sure Amtrak would love to stop the Boston section of the Lake Shore between Jan and Easter, largely to save on staff costs and general consist operating costs (reduced route mileage too). Would make more sense to put the Boston sleeping car passengers in the "NY Based Viewliner Sleepers" - more adjacent to the Sleeper Lounge first and foremost. But then the Boston passengers have to be uprooted in Albany. The Boston Sleeper on the rear, but coaches in the front would create a longer and complicated switching move in Albany, which presently takes longer than it should.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Date: 01/17/20 10:00
Author: abyler

jp1822 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Boston Sleeper on the rear, but coaches in the
> front would create a longer and complicated
> switching move in Albany, which presently takes

Imagine putting them in the middle, so that the lounge is at the end of the coach section and the sleeper "lounge" diner is between the boston sleeper and the NY sleepers.

Date: 01/18/20 22:37
Author: DavidP

abyler Wrote:
> jp1822 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > Boston Sleeper on the rear, but coaches in the
> > front would create a longer and complicated
> > switching move in Albany, which presently takes
>
> Imagine putting them in the middle, so that the
> lounge is at the end of the coach section and the
> sleeper "lounge" diner is between the boston
> sleeper and the NY sleepers.

Unless one of the consists was split at Albany, your plan would leave the NYP coaches on the other side of the sleepers from the cafe/lounge, which is on the Boston section.  I’m sure Amtrak would prefer to avoid coach passengers transiting the sleepers, especially with the current prohibition on them using the “dining car”.  (Perhaps that problem could be solved by assigning a second Amfleet I food service car with a 2-1 seating section, and selling business class seating on the NYP segment to defer the added cost).

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/20 22:42 by DavidP.

Date: 01/19/20 18:26
Author: abyler

DavidP Wrote:
> Unless one of the consists was split at Albany,
> your plan would leave the NYP coaches on the other
> side of the sleepers from the cafe/lounge, which
> is on the Boston section.  I’m sure Amtrak

I think you missed what I intended

P42
P42
NY Baggage
NY Coach
NY Coach
NY Coach
NY Coach
Boston Lounge
Boston Coach
Boston Coach
Boston Coach
Boston Sleeper
NY Diner
NY Sleeper
NY Sleeper

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0643 seconds