Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak 97(19) Safety Patrol Special

Date: 01/19/20 23:45
Amtrak 97(19) Safety Patrol Special
Author: GenePoon

Amtrak 97(19), operating as Safety Patrol Special, had two P42 Genesis units, AMTK 194 and 159; and four Amfleet I coaches ahead of 97's usual consist of four Amfleet II coaches, Amfleet II Dinette-Lounge, Viewliner Diner, three Viewliner sleepers, Viewliner II Baggage; with an additional Amfleet II coach deadhead on the rear.

Train originated at Sunnyside Yard, operated empty to Washington DC, arriving early; departed 1 hr 19m late as Amtrak 97, CSX symbol P931.  Last report 21 minutes late at Florence SC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/20 00:06 by GenePoon.

Date: 01/20/20 05:05
Re: Amtrak 97(19) Safety Patrol Special
Author: steamloco

Thanks, I was wondering what it's makeup was.

Date: 01/20/20 08:02
Author: walstib

What, or who is the Safety Patrol?

And why do they have a special train?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/20/20 08:52
Author: Dcmcrider

Basically kids who assist with crossing guard duties and help direct traffic near schools.

Paul Wilson
Arlington, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/20 08:52 by Dcmcrider.

Date: 01/20/20 09:09
Author: walstib

Copy that, thanks. I figured that might be it, but I didn't realize they had a train.

I was on the safety patrol at my school in the 8th grade, but we didn't get a train ride -- just a BBQ in the park.

Date: 01/20/20 09:34
Author: GenePoon

It's been a wintertime organized activity for all Safety Patrols in Palm Beach County, for two weekends in January. At one time Amtrak used the wintertime Superliner charter fleet, the same as on the Reno Fun Train. Of course, that doesn't exist any more. At one point Amtrak commandeered cars from the Chicago Hub, cancelling Michigan trains and running only one daily roundtrip between Chicago and Pontiac/Detroit for weeks. Amtrak claimed the cars were frozen and needed to go South to thaw out. It was a lie, and a little bird snitched them out to Michigan DOT which was hopping mad, but at the time those were not State-subsidized. Amtrak could do as they pleased. Now Amtrak commandeers the Silver Meteor for the Up-Thursday and Back-Sunday trips. Regular passengers have their reservation cancelled, and are offered no-fee complete cancellations, travel on other dates, or reaccommodation on the Silver Starvation where both serve the same station. Ridership has been declining, though. More participating schools are using the airlines.

Date: 01/20/20 10:42
Author: KansasCityChief

Reno fun train still running for 2020

Posted from Android

Date: 01/20/20 11:56
Author: ctillnc

15 cars is about what the Silver Meteor and Silver Star routinely ran in the 1980s.

Date: 01/23/20 01:55
Author: lordsigma

GenePoon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ridership has been declining, though. More
> participating schools are using the airlines.

Boo. Where's the fun in that?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.036 seconds