Home Open Account Help 287 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak Test Train in the snow

Date: 02/03/20 08:03
Amtrak Test Train in the snow
Author: atsf121

While the train is 2 1/2 hours late, I'm guessing it's not because of the Charger engines.  #6, the eastbound California Zephyr, was also about 2 1/2 hours late this morning.  I thought about running over to catch it, but it was still dark and the roads are a mess today.  I wasn't sure I would catch the test train, the schedule had it through here in the dark this morning.  And with a major snow storm rolling in last night, plus an early call for work, I thought I was going to miss everything.  When I got up, I noticed it was late, so kept watching it's progress.  A few of my kids had school canceled, the others are on a delayed start.  So once we were done with breakfast, I checked the Amtrak map one last time and then hurried to shovel a small path down the driveway and took off.  I almost missed it, I was pulling up to the crossing at 1500 N in Lehi, UT and was looking for a spot to safely pull over when the gates started flashing.  So I pulled right up to the gate, rolled down the window, and watched this fun train blast through the snow.  All the swirling snow made it so you couldn't even see the whole train at once, and it disappeared into the snow as quickly as it came.  While I only got a video and no pictures, I'm glad my luck held out for once!

*My two year old just said "That's not the Frontrunner!"  Smart kid.

Nathan

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 02/03/20 08:35
Re: Amtrak Test Train in the snow
Author: RevRandy

wonderful - thanks

Date: 02/03/20 09:10
Author: lowwater

Nice, Nathan! Certainly appears as though they can scoot right along.

Any idea why #6 lost 2:33 between Elko and SLC? #5, already an hour late, only lost 15 minutes in that stretch.

Date: 02/03/20 09:25
Author: gaspeamtrak

Thank you for taking the time to do this for us!!!
That was a great "grabshot" ! Thank you for sharing !!!

Date: 02/03/20 09:44
Author: asheldrake

great posting Nathan....thank you.   Arlen

Date: 02/03/20 10:19
Author: GenePoon

For those following who don't already know, it is tracking on Transitdocs map AND status pages as Amtrak 934(2).

Date: 02/03/20 12:01
Author: AndyBrown

So is it going through to Chicago?  In case I was to catch it at Mt. Pleasant tomorrow...

Andy

Date: 02/03/20 13:17

AndyBrown Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So is it going through to Chicago?  In case I was
> to catch it at Mt. Pleasant tomorrow...
>
> Andy

Yes, supposed to be in Denver tonight and Chicago tomorrow afternoon.  As was mentioned, it was showing up as train 934 on the Amtrak Track-a-Train.  I don't know if it will catch up to the Zephyr, I believe the original plan was for it to run about an hour behind.  But it was about 2 hours behind here in Utah.

Nathan

Date: 02/03/20 13:19

lowwater Wrote:
> Nice, Nathan! Certainly appears as though they can
> scoot right along.
>
> Any idea why #6 lost 2:33 between Elko and SLC?
> #5, already an hour late, only lost 15 minutes in
> that stretch.

Thanks, it was easily maintaining track speed through here, it was going to slow in a minute for a sharp curve through Lehi.  As for the 2 1/2 hour delay, I have no idea.  This storm has created a mess for traffic in the Salt Lake area, and is cold, so I don't know if there were frozen switches or a stalled train that created the delays.  I'm just glad it was delayed as much as it was so I could catch it.  First time seeing the Chargers in person, they are interesting looking units.  Not an E or F, but still fun to see.

Nathan

Date: 02/03/20 20:02
Author: Electroliner

Thank you again for posting this, Nathan, and going to all the trouble.  It was worth it!  Love seeing Amtrak "haulin' donkey!"  (family site)

Date: 02/03/20 21:17
Author: ProAmtrak

Nice grab shot!

Posted from Android

Date: 02/03/20 22:00
Author: ChrisCampi

Curious if the GE was on line.

Date: 02/04/20 09:48

ChrisCampi Wrote:
> Curious if the GE was on line.

Couldn’t tell honestly. Thought I had heard that it was just along for the ride.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/04/20 09:49

ChrisCampi Wrote:

Thanks, I’m really glad I went here and not a little further north as I would have totally missed it.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/04/20 22:18
Author: mojaveflyer

Nice video! Do you know what the single signal just inside the gate was for? Looked like it was displaying a lunar white...

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 02/05/20 15:38
Author: Pig-Mauler

ChrisCampi Wrote:

It's there as back-up in case of charger failure, and as additional tonnage for testing.

Date: 02/05/20 21:36
Author: zfan

mojaveflyer Wrote:
> Nice video! Do you know what the single signal
> just inside the gate was for? Looked like it was
> displaying a lunar white...

That's the Frontrunner commuter liner directly in front of car.  

Date: 02/05/20 21:39
Author: zfan

The train itself is on the ex Rio Grande,  now UP line through Happy Valley USA.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0583 seconds