Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Passenger Trains > The Best Christmas Story You Never Heard

Date: 02/09/20 07:50
The Best Christmas Story You Never Heard
Author: Jim700

While there's recent postings titled "1974 Army-Navy Game trains with GG1s", I don't recall having seen any mention of Bennett Levin's train to the most recent Army-Navy Game in Philadelphia last December 3rd..

To brighten your day simply click on https://johnbrunner.com/the-best-christmas-story-you-never-heard/ to read John Brunner's story The Best Christmas Story You Never Heard.

Date: 02/09/20 08:38
Re: The Best Christmas Story You Never Heard
Author: Northeaster

A really great train story! Thanks for sharing it.

Date: 02/09/20 10:03
Author: chuchubob

1. Liberty Limited at Glenolden, PA; Dec 3, 2005, photographed from the SEPTA station
2, 3.  2006 and 2010 photographed from Grays Ferry Ave bridge in Philadelphia

Date: 02/09/20 13:28
Author: Topfuel

I know they always try and keep the operation of these trains on the "down low", as the train is all about the Vets on board, but this one really flew under the radar.  Don't even recall seeing any pictures of this train on TO, where there have usually been pictures posted of previous year's trains.  Good to read that they did run it, especially considering the contentious relationship between Bennet Levin and Amtrak in recent years.

Date: 02/09/20 15:24
Author: Jimbo

This is a great story, but I believe it is a report on an earlier train to the Army-Navy game, not in 2019, despite the January 8, 2020, date on the article.  IIRC the E-8s did not get out on Amtrak in 2019.  And the Army-Navy game was held on December 14 in 2019, not December 3rd as stated in the article.

We would like to see it happen again but at this point in time it doesn't seem likely.

Date: 02/09/20 16:42
Author: ironmtn

A absolutely wonderful story. The quiet, understated kindness, generosity and concern of the Vivian and Bennett Levin that showed in operating this train is marvelous.

Many of us have appreciated Bennett for his restoration and operation of the PRR E-units. But their actions in operating these trips for these veterans, and the support of the military, the private car owners, rail carriers, corporate participants and others who all helped to make it possible, deserve our deepest appreciation for a level of generosity that greatly transcends historical preservation and the enjoyment that we all have in this hobby.

To them all, our deepest thanks are truly due.

MC
Muskegon, Michigan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/20 16:46 by ironmtn.

Date: 02/09/20 17:13
Author: Jim700

Jimbo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is a great story, but I believe it is a report on an earlier train to the
> Army-Navy game, not in 2019, despite the January 8, 2020, date on the article.

Thank you, Jimbo, for the correction.  I apologize to you and all readers for putting out an old story.  I just received the story in the mail from a friend and it was a printout of an email with the subject "A Little Known Story About the Recent Army Navy Football Game".

Obviously I should have done some investigation before posting it.  One can tell how much attention I pay to professional sports if I didn't recognize the date.  I do at least know that a football has two points on it!

Date: 02/09/20 20:43
Author: wa4umr

It may not be current, but it's still a good story.

I think I read a thread last year that said the locomotives didn't have PTC and Mr. Levin did not intend to install it.  I may be wrong, but I seem to remember that from about a year ago.

John

Date: 02/10/20 08:49
Author: dan

i think i reAD THAT A FEW YEARS AGO

Date: 02/10/20 09:48
Author: co614

Truth be told Mr. Levin is totally disgusted with the current Amtrak CEO and his sidekick COO as well. Mr. Levin has posted huge signs on the billboards on his property in No. Philly ( next to the NEC) that say in very big letters.....Save Amtrak...Fire Anderson. Until there's a change at the top of the Amtrak food chain you won't be seeing Mr. Levin's equipment running there for sure. 

Sad but true. Ross Rowland 

Date: 02/10/20 11:42
Author: chuchubob

File photos from June 16, 2018.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0841 seconds