Home Open Account Help 248 users online

Passenger Trains > Another NJT Raritan Line grade crossing collision in Middlesex

Date: 02/11/20 06:38
Another NJT Raritan Line grade crossing collision in Middlesex
Author: joemvcnj

Date: 02/11/20 10:22
Re: Another NJT Raritan Line grade crossing collision in Middlese
Author: Lackawanna484

NJ.com reports there were no injuries.  340 people on the train.

I don't know what the fine is in NJ for disregarding a rail crossing signal, but it would seem like something that the Middlesex borough police could make some money on. I wonder if the driver will lose his CDL?

https://www.nj.com/middlesex/2020/02/nj-transit-line-suspended-after-vehicle-is-hit-by-train-its-the-3rd-incident-at-same-crossing-this-year.html

Date: 02/11/20 11:28

The 5:51am from High Bridge to Newark is one of the 2 Comet trains assigned to the RVL. Eastbound trains approach that crossing well below normal track speed of 79, coming aorund a long left curve

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/20 11:38 by joemvcnj.

Date: 02/11/20 16:36
Author: NJTMatt

Max track speed on the RVL is 80 mph. There is a speed restriction of 70mph for east bounds approaching Ceader Ave. Prior to the DOT improvements to the crossing it was 40 for east bounds. It's a bad crossing. Today's incident was probably caused by the semi getting trapped between the Lehigh Line and the RVL by a freight and 5710 clipped its rear because it doesn't quite fit between the crossings.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/11/20 16:49
Author: PHall

Was the trailer that got clipped a 53 foot trailer? Could be that a 40 or 45 foot trailer fit but a 53 footer was just a little too long.

Date: 02/11/20 18:00
Author: bioyans

NJTMatt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Today's incident was
> probably caused by the semi getting trapped
> between the Lehigh Line and the RVL by a freight
> and 5710 clipped its rear because it doesn't quite
> fit between the crossings.

Said crossing was altered several years ago, to eliminate the intermediate grade crossing signals. One set of crossbucks/gates, and traffic lights tied into the grade crossing protection, protect all 4 tracks. If the driver got "blocked" by a freight, it is because the driver either ignored the gates, or stopped somewhere they shouldn't have.

Date: 02/12/20 06:31

I don't have a clue how to idiot-proof this crossing, except I would not be surprised if the eastbound speed restriction gets put back, given 3 accidents in 5 weeks, if nothing else but to give the engineer more seconds to escape from the cab. 

Date: 02/12/20 07:18
Author: bioyans

One also needs to put the "3 accidents in several weeks" into perspective. The first, where two women died, was reportedly due to the driver inadvertently backing her car into the path of the NJT train. The second, the 17 year old male, was reportedly a suicide.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/12/20 07:43

Agreed. But they might need to show politically "they did something" about it. 

Date: 02/12/20 08:55
Author: PHall

joemvcnj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't have a clue how to idiot-proof this
> crossing, except I would not be surprised if the
> eastbound speed restriction gets put back, given 3
> accidents in 5 weeks, if nothing else but to give
> the engineer more seconds to escape from the
> cab. 

A grade seperation would "idiot proof" it.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0521 seconds