Home Open Account Help 281 users online

Passenger Trains > 50-50 is bad odds

Date: 02/14/20 12:00
50-50 is bad odds
Author: GenePoon

Man struck, killed while trying to cross tracks ahead of Amtrak train
by KOMO News Staff
Friday, February 14th 2020

NAPAVINE, Wash. - A man was killed Thursday when he tried to cross the railroad tracks in front of an oncoming Amtrak train and was struck, Napavine police said.

Officers and medics responded to the scene, at the railroad crossing on Washington Street in the city of Napavine, after receiving reports of a train hitting a pedestrian, said Napavine Police Chief Chris Salyers.  The Amtrak train stopped after the accident, and an adult male victim was found along the tracks. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

No other information was immediately available about him.A preliminary investigation found that the railroad crossing arms were down and the crossing lights were on as the southbound Amtrak train was approaching. 

Two men attempted to cross the tracks ahead of the train. The first made it across, but the second man was hit by the train.

Salyers said the case was a tragic reminder that no one should attempt to cross railroad tracks when crossing arms are down or lights are flashing.The case remains under investigation.

https://komonews.com/news/local/man-struck-killed-while-trying-to-cross-tracks-ahead-of-amtrak-train

=====================================

Train 505(12)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/20 12:01 by GenePoon.

Date: 02/14/20 13:19
Re: 50-50 is bad odds
Author: andersonb109

Of course there is no mention of the train involved in this fine article. 

Date: 02/14/20 13:29
Author: HotWater

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Of course there is no mention of the train
> involved in this fine article. 

It states that it was an "Amtrak train"! Does it really matter which one??

Date: 02/14/20 13:36
Author: ProAmtrak

I just shake my head when I hear stuff like this, hasn't been as bad here in Flagstaff but the idiots still show when I hear the horn blast like crazy!

Posted from Android

Date: 02/14/20 13:39
Author: GenePoon

andersonb109 Wrote:

That was why I added it at the end.

Date: 02/14/20 16:59
Author: SANSR

Author: HotWater andersonb109 Wrote:

It states that it was an "Amtrak train"! Does it really matter which one??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It is not that difficult to glean the basis of the statement.  Short cuts in reporting = the current sad state of the entity we refer to as 'the press'.  That the fact gatherer chose not to dig down into details such as the identity of the train does a disservice to his or her reader.  When we choose to accept inferior offerings we ultimately lower our own expectation of the concept of quality.  How could that possibly be beneficial for advancement as a society?

Date: 02/14/20 17:28
Author: march_hare

That reporter is working for hamburger wages and probably has a long list of articles that gotta get out by deadline. Nobody can afford the time to do high quality reporting at the local level anymore.

The culprit? Take a look at that screen you’re reading this on.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/15/20 00:21
Author: SP4360

Of course you need to read the ENTIRE post to get all the info.

GenePoon Wrote:
> andersonb109 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Of course there is no mention of the train
> > involved in this fine article. 
>
>
> That was why I added it at the end.

Date: 02/15/20 14:00
Author: SANSR

Author: march_hare That reporter is working for hamburger wages and probably has a long list of articles that gotta get out by deadline. Nobody can afford the time to do high quality reporting at the local level anymore.

The culprit? Take a look at that screen you’re reading this on.

Using your logic, which I am not saying is incorrect, the reporter could reduce the article down to the lowest common denominator and simply say 'someone died somewhere due to some event'.......'OK, on to the next of my long list of deadline prone articles.'  If you want to point the finger at technology, so be it.  However, I still circle back to what is ultimately shoddy reporting.  That is on the reporter.  Full disclosure, I am 64 years old and have been a news junkie since first delivering the Washington Post way back in 1970.  (Only did that for about a year.....those damn Sunday editions were crazy heavy.........and 3:30 AM came very early for a 14 year old.......still, it taught me a life's lesson in personal responsibility and a work ethic based on customer satisfaction.......lessons still in focus today.)

Date: 02/15/20 17:52
Author: cchan006

andersonb109 Wrote:

However, when a traffic accident is reported, color, make, and model of the car involved is often mentioned, like "dark blue Toyota RAV4 on the shoulder" and so forth.

Not surprising in a Train Stupid society. It goes much deeper than just blaming journalists.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0494 seconds