Home Open Account Help 388 users online

Passenger Trains > SMART - Marin and Sonoma Counties - 2/25/20

Date: 02/26/20 11:22
SMART - Marin and Sonoma Counties - 2/25/20
Author: Pullman

It's been a while since I took in the SMART train operation over the former Northwestern Pacific line in Marin and Sonoma Counties. Disclosure: I am somewhat too familar with the operation, having been the Customer Relations Supervisor for the Golden Gate Bridge Highway and Transportation District (which provides Customer Service for SMART out of the San Rafael Transit Center). I was in that role from the summer of 2016 through January of 2018. During that time we went through the start-up of service in the summer of 2017 as well as the fires that fall. So, long story short, I kind of have had my fill of the SMART train in many ways.

Yet, I was convinced to go out for the day and see the elephant once more by a couple of good friends who are life long fans of the NWP and other associated lines.

Tuesday, February 25, 2020 was a bright sunny day with temperatures in the mid-70's.

We started the day at the Larkspur Landing station for a ride to Downtown Santa Rosa and back again, hence the first view.

The second view is our ride back south, entering the station at Downtown Santa Rosa.

Upon completion of our train ride, we decided to head north with photos at a few select locations. The recently opened Downtown Novato station was the first of those.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/20 14:40 by Pullman.

Date: 02/26/20 11:28
Re: SMART - Marin and Sonoma Counties - 2/24/20

One place where SMART makes full use of track speed is out near the county line between Marin and Sonoma Counties. The access road to the local landfill provided good views of the trains running the full permitted 79 miles per hour. The first two views are here of a pair of southbound trains. The recent schedule change makes for increased frequency of operations in both directions.

Crossing the Petaluma River at this relocated, second hand drawbridge offers a good opportunity to see something different than the usual urban spawl.

Date: 02/26/20 11:31

A final view of another southbound train coming into the Downtown Petaluma station. A good number of passengers boarding for this time of day.

The rest of our day included following the former Petaluma and Santa Rosa right of way to Sebastopol and on to Santa Rosa, with a fine Mexican meal and a welcome stop at Treehorn Books on 4th St in Santa Rosa.

Nice to see how things have changed/improved since the opening of service.

Date: 02/26/20 13:40
Author: Duna

Unlike most photos taken of Europen or Asain public transit, no people to spoil the photos.

Date: 02/26/20 14:42

That is the choice made in photography.

There were plenty of passengers aboard and at stations. 

Date: 02/26/20 14:59

Pullman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is the choice made in photography.
>
> There were plenty of passengers aboard and at
> stations. 

Right. Plenty. Lots of riders, ok, sure. No doubt.

It's just "interesting" how few US transit photos show any people.

Date: 02/26/20 14:59
Author: PHall

Pullman Wrote:
> That is the choice made in photography.
>
> There were plenty of passengers aboard and at
> stations. 

Ignore him, he has an axe to grind.

Date: 02/26/20 15:22
Author: wtsherman100

I always wonder what motivates people to post things that make them look like a jerk...

Date: 02/26/20 17:58
Author: wpamtk

Could it be that many railfans (like me) don't like people in their photos and do whatever they can to crop them out?

Date: 02/27/20 00:31

Out of the photo's posted, only two are at station platforms. The first is of a train set at Larkspur Landing, stored laying over mid day. Hence, no passengers. The second platform shown is the approach to the high level platform at Downtown Novato. Passengers need to walk up the ramp to board and have already done so.

Yes, the focus in photography was trains. Hence the subject, not passengers.

Date: 02/27/20 08:07
Author: aehouse

Duna Wrote:
-

>
> It's just "interesting" how few US transit photos
> show any people.

But don't you see, US Transit is all a plot to bring on Communism? (Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Rush Limbaugh. Just as Coronavirus is a plot to "get Trump," another pronouncement of the Medal of Freedom recipient.)

Date: 02/27/20 08:18

aehouse Wrote:
> Duna Wrote:
> -
>
> >
> > It's just "interesting" how few US transit
> photos
> > show any people.
>
> But don't you see, US Transit is all a plot to
> bring on Communism? (Thank you for bringing this
> to our attention, Rush Limbaugh. Just as
> Coronavirus is a plot to "get Trump," another
> pronouncement of the Medal of Freedom recipient.)
>
>  

What?

It's easy to shoot photos of US transit systems (esp. "light rail") with no passengers. Mainly where ridership on those systems is low- most.

I forgot that, for the most part, this board is not interested in transportation of people, it's about rolling stock.

Date: 02/27/20 10:53
Author: The-late-EMD

In my foaming experience most passengers and railroad employees DON'T LIKE there picture taken, so I crop them out.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/27/20 10:54
Author: The-late-EMD

Pipeline----SMART extended all the way to Eureka.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/27/20 11:37
Author: symph1

Now that the extension to the Larkspur ferry is open, how's that working? Decent crowds? How long is it taking to walk from train to ferry?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0863 seconds