Home Open Account Help 232 users online

Passenger Trains > Capital Limited 29/30

Date: 03/23/20 15:46
Capital Limited 29/30
Author: scoobydoobydoo

Ive noticed both trains are now down to 4 cars,how many more cars will they drop before they stop the whole train,thanks in Advance...Scoobydoobydoo

Date: 03/23/20 16:34
Re: Capital Limited 29/30
Author: GenePoon

Reduction in consist while maintaining all car types does little to reduce costs.  We keep hearing about dropping sleepers and diner to reduce labor cost.

Reduction in frequency could be an option but it also causes a drop in revenue.  In the past, when Amtrak foolishly decreased frequency, those passengers displaced did not rebook on alternate dates to the extent that was thought possible, and fixed expenses didn't decrease enough to compensate.

Amtrak has admitted that long distance ridership and advance bookings have not been anywhere of near the same devastating effect as those for Acela, for which demand has evaporated to nothing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/20 16:37 by GenePoon.

Date: 03/23/20 18:56
Author: sethamtrak

Capitol is a single unit, Sleeper, Diner Lite, 2 Coaches. 

Hiawatha is down to 3 coaches and a dinette, was 6 coaches and dinette.

Empire Builder down to Baggage Car, Sleeper, Diner, Coach, Lounge, Coach, sleeper. (was baggage, Trans Dorm, 2 Sleepers, Diner, 2 Coaches, Lounge, 2 Coaches, Sleeper) 

Date: 03/23/20 19:20
Author: gaspeamtrak

Just saw #30 The  Capital go through Elkhart webcam tonight same consist as below...
Saw #29 go thru Shenandoah JCT with P-42 #55 sleeper,.diner/delight,and 2 coaches. no lounge car tonight.:(:(:(

sethamtrak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Capitol is a single unit, Sleeper, Diner Lite, 2
> Coaches. 
>
> Hiawatha is down to 3 coaches and a dinette, was 6
> coaches and dinette.
>
> Empire Builder down to Baggage Car, Sleeper,
> Diner, Coach, Lounge, Coach, sleeper. (was
> baggage, Trans Dorm, 2 Sleepers, Diner, 2 Coaches,
> Lounge, 2 Coaches, Sleeper) 
>
>  

Date: 03/23/20 19:29
Author: twropr

I listened to two reportings of the LAKE SHORE LIMITED today - each with 48 axles,which would be ten cars and two units.
This is still one car above the winter consist.
The SILVER METEOR and STAR have returned to their winter consists; however, a few recent southbounds have had extra cars (probably New Yorkers fleeing the stay-at-home orders).
How many cars are the CARDINAL and CRESCENT running?
Andy

Date: 03/23/20 20:53
Author: bath_wildcat

I have seen the 30 almost every night as my wife and I stay up just for that one train as it was something her and I did once I was off work.  I have seen the capital go from two P42's to one and from six cars to four and one P42DC.  

Depending on time it passes my house at CD 253 on the NS chicago Line anywhere from 0100-0230 depending on how late it really is running. 

Michael Fair
Royal Oak, MI

Date: 03/24/20 04:46
Author: JPB

At 0740, 4 car #29, running ~ 10 minutes late,  just spent < 1 minute dwell time at Elkhart with 0 patrons on and 0 patrons off.

Date: 03/25/20 03:26
Author: JPB

As of 0624 3/25/20, the current edition of #30 that departed Chicago on 3/24/20, is shown arriving and departing Elkhart operating 26 minutes late at that time. Maybe saw one patron? #30 is currently OT about a half hour west of Connelsville PA.

Date: 03/25/20 07:16
Author: GP25

Im surprised they havent put single level cars on this route yet

Jerry Martin
Los Angeles, CA
Central Coast Railroad Festival

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0847 seconds