Home Open Account Help 260 users online

Passenger Trains > Train 14 Diner question

Date: 03/26/20 10:15
Train 14 Diner question
Author: Pioneer2526

How late do they serve dinner, I’m catching 14 tonight at SJC ? Thanks.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/26/20 11:16
Re: Train 14 Diner question
Author: mcfflyer

It depends on the passenger load, I believe, and it can vary depending upon the individual in charge of the dining car, so I don't think there's any hard and fast rule.

That said, and this was several years ago, I boarded 14 in San Jose to go north, expecting (hoping?) to eat dinner in the diner.  However, the train was over an hour late and the diner was already closed.  I was in an economy bedroom/roomette, and when I mentioned it to my attendant, she disappeared only to return a few minutes later with an entire dinner from the diner on a take out tray.  I don't know if the dining crew was still there to put it together, whether it was pre-made and sitting in a warmer or what, but I got a complete dinner to eat.  It was awkward, however, since the bed was already in the sleeping position!  But I certainly didn't starve.  

Good luck, and post back here what you found tonight.

Lee Hower - Sacramento

Date: 03/26/20 12:53

Thanks Lee I will, currently I’m at DEN catching a flight there

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/26/20 13:31
Author: BoilingMan

If the train is pretty much on time you should be able to get in for last call- but move fast!  Drop your kit in your room and head back....   if they're and hour or so late, you might miss out.
SR

Date: 03/26/20 13:45
Author: zgscl

I have always had dinner onboard when joining the train in SJC. I imagine if it is significantly late then of course they would stop serving.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/26/20 16:49
Author: mundo

The rule has been, on the train by 830 PM go to the diner.

Date: 03/27/20 08:51

Well it was late by about a hour but that’s ok, Sonny, the agent at SJC held my bags, let me charge my phone and told me about a great BBQ called Henry’s hi life, take out, so it went well. Trains mostly empty
Only 5 cars, no baggage or trans dorm but Karen the sleeper attendant Rocks !

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0407 seconds