Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Passenger Trains > France using TGV train as very fast ambulance

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 04/01/20 09:09
France using TGV train as very fast ambulance
Author: SDGreg

https://www.citylab.com/life/2020/03/coronavirus-cases-france-train-hospital-tgv-covid-19-patient/608833/

"This week, the French government adapted a five-car TGV (Train a Grande Vitesse) to serve as a mobile hospital. It’s intended to shuttle patients from the hardest hit region to hospitals with more capacity, easing the stress on resources." 

"Equipped with ventilators and medical staff, the train started service Thursday, transporting 20 patients from the cities of Strasbourg and Mulhouse in the country’s northeastern Grand Est (“Greater East”) region to hospitals in the currently less-affected Loire Region."

Date: 04/01/20 09:38
Re: France using TGV train as very fast ambulance
Author: RevRandy

now that's a national plan

Date: 04/01/20 10:34
Author: joemvcnj

Not a bad idea for the NEC with parked Acelas. 

Date: 04/01/20 11:29
Author: Molino

joemvcnj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not a bad idea for the NEC with parked Acelas. 

I always assumed railroads avoided risk at all possible cost, now you suggest exposing employees to it?    

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/20 11:30 by Molino.

Date: 04/01/20 11:41

Molino Wrote:
> joemvcnj Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Not a bad idea for the NEC with parked
> Acelas. 
>
> I always assumed railroads avoided risk at all
> possible cost, now you suggest exposing employees
> to it?    

This is not the sort of thing where the conductor walks through to punch tickets. They can remain isolated in their own car..The engineer is isolated in his cab. Get them N95 masks anyway. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/20 11:43 by joemvcnj.

Date: 04/01/20 11:42
Author: RailThunder

An interesting concept, especially with the nearly idle/unused baggage car fleet that could readily accessed by stretchers on a plaform.  10-12 patients per baggage car, Amtrak could move a lot of patients (10-12 per car) very quickly at 125mph.  Operate VIA style with engineer/conductor up front in sealed environment of cab with someone suited up in the back of train for radio communication etc.  

Date: 04/01/20 11:53
Author: goneon66

india is modifying some of their passenger coaches for medical uses too..............

Date: 04/01/20 12:12
Author: Juniata

Given the current atmosphere in which cars with out of state plates are being stopped and occupants questioned; what are the chances that - for example - patients in New York could be placed on a train and moved to hospitals in PA and PA officials would be ok with that?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/01/20 12:13

that is a very good question...............

Date: 04/01/20 12:20

Juniata Wrote:
> Given the current atmosphere in which cars with
> out of state plates are being stopped and
> occupants questioned; what are the chances that -
> for example - patients in New York could be placed
> on a train and moved to hospitals in PA and PA
> officials would be ok with that?

Depends if the hotspots shift around after an area has apexed, and the resources go with them across state lines. NY has sent some downstate patients to Albany, and some medical people from upstate have been shifted to NYC.

Date: 04/01/20 12:24
Author: nm2320

Could be moved intrastate. NYC, Albany, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo. Medicare patients, probably no problem interstate insurance wise.  Need to think nationally. Plenty of fine hospitals around the country. Actually may need doctors and nurses to go to NYC as so many are getting sick in NYC hospitals. But that would take great courage. And wouldn't want to leave a future hot spot short handed. Such courage. 

Date: 04/01/20 12:40
Author: alally8444

First the states are told to source thier own PPEs and medical equipment, and bid against other states and the federal government. Now, people are shocked when states such as Florida don't want non-Floridians "dumped" in their state. Perfect illustration of what happens in the vacuum caused by lack of national leadership: I got mine, screw everybody else. Did FDR tell Hawaii that Pearl Harbor was thier problem? We are a nation; we have a national passenger rail system. It could be creatively used in our current crisis to benefit the entire country, if local governments aren't pitted against each other.

Date: 04/01/20 12:58

i don't think modifying our current passenger fleet to accommodate the critically ill that need to be on ventilators is what should be done.  i think you could set-up temporary icu's in current buildings such as motels, convention centers, or even tents/m.a.s.h. units quicker and easier than modifying current passenger cars to treat patients on ventilators...........

Date: 04/01/20 13:01

Governor Cuomo is right in that getting medical supplies is like bidding up on Ebay. 50 states + FEMA, to say nothing of 5 territories. 

Date: 04/01/20 13:02

goneon66 Wrote:
> i don't think modifying our current passenger
> fleet to accommodate the critically ill that need
> to be on ventilators is what should be done.  i
> think you could set-up temporary icu's in current
> buildings such as motels, convention centers, or
> even tents/m.a.s.h. units quicker and easier than
> modifying current passenger cars to treat patients
> on ventilators...........

The non Covid-19 are who are being moved to Convention centers, hotels, tents, and the USN Comfort.. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/20 13:04 by joemvcnj.

Date: 04/01/20 13:06
Author: choodude

goneon66 Wrote:
> i don't think modifying our current passenger fleet to accommodate the critically ill that need to be on ventilators is what should be done.  i think you could set-up temporary icu's in current buildings such as motels, convention centers, or even tents/m.a.s.h. units quicker and easier than modifying current passenger cars to treat patients on ventilators...........

Here is an example of just such a thing:

Coronavirus: Transforming London's ExCeL [Convention] centre into Nightingale hospital

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-52112652/coronavirus-transforming-london-s-excel-centre-into-nightingale-hospital

Brian

Date: 04/01/20 13:21

also, modifying superliners for use of vented patients would be difficult at best due to the stairs...........

Date: 04/01/20 13:34
Author: alally8444

We have hospital ships, why not hospital trains? It would take awhile to ramp something like that up; it's probably too late for this crisis. They predict another bout of Covid-19 this fall though-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/20 14:03 by alally8444.

Date: 04/01/20 17:49
Author: milepost180

Very feasable in countries that have a national health plan.  Would US insurance cover this?  I doubt it.  

Date: 04/01/20 18:53
Author: SDGreg

Meanwhile, the hospital ship in Los Angeles for non-COVID-19 patients is considered part of a government conspiracy by one rogue individual:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,4989569

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0546 seconds