Home Open Account Help 235 users online

Passenger Trains > What is happening on the A-Line?

Date: 04/09/20 05:14
What is happening on the A-Line?
Author: twropr

Until recently the shorter trains have been getting over CSX's former Atlantic Coast Line fairly well.  Starting about Tuesday, there has been a raft of temporary speed restrictions that have been delaying AUTO TRAIN and the SILVER METEOR.  On Wed. I listened to METEOR #98 get four 25 MPH restrictions that totaled about 14 miles in the territory between the Savannah River Bridge at Sand Island and Green Pond, SC, which could delay the train about 20 min.  Since the train is losing time between each station pair, I would not be surprised if the other delays are similar speed restrictions.
Does anyone know what is going on?
Andy

Date: 04/09/20 07:09
Re: What is happening on the A-Line?
Author: PRSL-recall

Is there any possibility that what has happened just south of Deland station to Auto Train has raised the attention level to other potentially sub-standard situations?

Date: 04/09/20 10:10
Author: ShortlinesUSA

Doubtful.  But what it likely is related to is a massive track gang that has been working on the line this week.  I am staying in Charleston right now around CP-South Drayton Hall, and am within sight of the line through the trees.  Nothing is running during daylight hours and MOW equipment is all over the line.  A very long work train went through just a bit ago with all the production gang machines loaded up on flats and headed north.  But they could have just been heading into Bennett Yard to tie up or run around the train.

Amtraks seem to be mostly on time the few days I've been here so far; or I should say, I hear them pass roughly when they are supposed to.

Date: 04/09/20 10:26
Author: KV1guy

Gets worse too.  Now any time there is no PTC available, whether it be to technical issues or even if the system is shut down for maintenance, we're limited to 59mph (unless cab signals are available).  40mph in dark territory.

Date: 04/09/20 12:22
Author: ctillnc

89/90 are annuled Monday-Thursday until the track work is complete at the end of the month. 

Date: 04/09/20 14:02
Author: PRR1361

It sounds as if maintenance that was deferred to hype their OR is catching up to them.  Note Bill Stephens's article in this month's Trains re CSX infrastructure percentage spending is lowest of all class I's.  Any doubt as to why they have so many "incidents", as compared to the others? Ask any NS guy about the differences between the two in ballast depth, especially on curves, and spacing of track anchors. Thank you EHH, and prior cheapskate John Snow!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0291 seconds