Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Passenger Trains > NYCMTA Subway Action in the Crossing Jamaica Bay

Date: 05/21/20 20:15
NYCMTA Subway Action in the Crossing Jamaica Bay
Author: Passfanatic

In the middle of July of 2017, I did some subway photography in Southeastern Queens. These subways are crossing Jamaica Bay.

Date: 05/21/20 20:18
Re: NYCMTA Subway Action in the Crossing Jamaica Bay

The Jamaica Bay Bridge is one of the most scenic spots to get pictures of subway trains in some of the most remote areas of NYC.

Date: 05/21/20 20:21

If you like to photograph planes in addition to subway trains, then the Jamaica Bay area is the best spot for you.

Date: 05/21/20 20:22

These three pictures were taken from the Rockaway Peninsula side of the Bay.

Date: 05/22/20 02:00
Author: ats90mph

Nice shots of the former LIRR Rockaway Branch, the LIRR sold this portion of the line to the City after this bridge burned in 1950. The former branch between Ozone Park and the LIRR Main Line remains abandoned...

Date: 05/22/20 03:38
Author: joemvcnj

Yes the LIRR's long bridge partially burned, and the TA built a series of islands and shorter bridges to replace it. But after Superstorm Sandy and its washouts, look at what got revealed on one of the artificial island. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IND_Rockaway_Line#/media/File:Rockaway_Line_after_Hurricane_Sandy_vc.jpg

Looks like in some places, they simply scooped sand around at least one section of the LIRR wood trestle. 

Date: 05/22/20 07:25

Thanks. Yes, the LIRR used to run to the Rockaway Peninsula. That is true that on the mainland, the old LIRR Rockaway Branch is still inactive but it would be great if it was reactivated again, even if it involves a faster subway ride.

Date: 05/22/20 10:17
Author: stash

The A train to Far Rockaway is a great ride. A long ride too, if you board in Washington Heights.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/22/20 13:15
Author: joemvcnj

Change at Broad Channel for the Shuttle. The neighborhoods to Rockaway Park are fare safer than those to Far Rockaway. Rockaway Park headhouse is an historic, brick LIRR terminal, and some nice local businesses to visit. 

Date: 05/22/20 13:41

The A train is a very long ride from Manhattan altogether to the Rockaway Peninsula. I agree that Far Rockaway can be dodgy but I think the walk from the Mott Avenue Subway Terminal to the beach is ok during the daytime. I would just, in general, try not to walk through the space of the projects or along it. I enjoy taking the subway to the Rockaway Peninsula. Yes, for the most part, when heading to Rockaway Park, you have to switch at Broad Channel for the S train. I have even ridden the LIRR Far Rockaway Line from Far Rockaway to Penn Station after taking the A train to Far Rockaway-Mott Ave and walking a few blocks between the terminals. This walk is ok during the daytime but I probably wouldn't do it after dark.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0559 seconds