Home Open Account Help 166 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak serves the Republic of Forgottonia!

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 05/22/20 14:28
Amtrak serves the Republic of Forgottonia!
Author: RuleG

Earlier today, I learned of a fictional political secessionist movement to establish an independent Republic of Forgottonia which would have comprised 16 counties in West Central Illinois.  The following website specifically mentions Amtrak as bringing rail service to the area in 1972 (the Illinois Zephyr was inaugurated in November 1971).

https://www.visitforgottonia.com/the-republic-of-forgottonia/

Date: 05/22/20 15:23
Re: Amtrak serves the Republic of Forgottonia!
Author: cabsignaldrop

Ha! A lot of folks south of Chicago would love to be another state.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/22/20 15:36
Author: PHall

cabsignaldrop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ha! A lot of folks south of Chicago would love to
> be another state.
>
> Posted from Android

Most people in Illinois would be very happy if Chicagoland wasn't part of their state.

Date: 05/22/20 15:46
Author: portlander

PHall Wrote:
> cabsignaldrop Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Ha! A lot of folks south of Chicago would love
> to
> > be another state.
> >
> > Posted from Android
>
> Most people in Illinois would be very happy if
> Chicagoland wasn't part of their state.

A quick Google search shows the Chicago Metro Area with a population of 9.5 million and the entire state with a population of 12.7 million. So what you imply seems unlikely.

Date: 05/22/20 15:54
Author: icancmp193

When I lived briefly in Illinois (1973-74) the Forgottonia Movement was covered on the news (probably the Peoria TV channel). I remember some guy in a top hat proclaimimg himself the "Mayor" or "President", perhaps "Governor" of Forgottonia. There are many States with a Forgottonia-like area. Northeastern California, Western Maryland, Michigan's Upper Peninsula, et al.

TJY

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/20 18:27 by icancmp193.

Date: 05/22/20 16:34
Author: Passfanatic

I just watched the clip and I found it to be informative. While it has very little to do with trains, we can still apply railroad information into it. It seems that the Amtrak Illinois State Supported services that run from Chicago to Quincy pass through Forgottonia. I know that they stop in Quincy(East Quincy to be exact) and Macomb. With very few interstates passing through the Forgottonia region of Illinois, that leads to so many country roads probably. The Amtrak trains that serve Quincy and Macomb have very good ridership.

Date: 05/22/20 17:26
Author: Lackawanna484

With 3.2 million people, Flattonia or Forgottonia (Illinois minus Chicago) would be bigger than Puerto Rico and 19 states.

Bigger than Nevada, Iowa, Arkansas, Nebraska, etc. Give them their two senators and three representatives..

https://worldpopulationreview.com/states/

Posted from Android

Date: 05/22/20 17:55
Author: Trainatic

I live in Illinois and there is a push to seperate from Chicago. Our Governor is a joke and thinks he is a dictator. The General Assembly is supermajority Democrat and is full of corruption starting at the top with the lead dog. Taxes are outrageously high, state is broke and they have unfunded pensions for govt employees of over 100 billion
Joe

Date: 05/22/20 22:18

I started this thread to provide some levity.  It was never intended to become a basis for partisan non-transportation commentary or Chicago-bashing.  There are plenty of other places on the Internet for that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/20 22:22 by RuleG.

Date: 05/22/20 22:56
Author: irhoghead

RuleG Wrote:
> I started this thread to provide some levity.  It
> was never intended to become a basis for partisan
> non-transportation commentary or
> Chicago-bashing.  There are plenty of other
> places on the Internet for that.

You are correct, but strong feelings are stirred up when you mention Chicagoland to residents of most the rest of the state of Illinois, as you can see. The same applies to eastern Washington state, which wants nothing to do with the people (and policies that are drafted) on the coast. There is a strong movement there as well to split that state. Urban life is a world removed from rural/farming life, and many would argue not for the better. The topic gets folks a bit worked up.

Date: 05/23/20 00:11
Author: 2904

If the southern portion of the state separated from Chicago it would be the poorest state in the union, below Mississippi. 

Date: 05/23/20 08:06
Author: kevink

As a long-time Illinois resident....
Ah, forget it, life's too short as it is

Date: 05/23/20 08:22
Author: colehour

In the 19th century, George Streeter laid claim to a portion of Chicago and called it the independent District of Lake Michigan. He filed a number of lawsuits in an attempt to squeeze some money out of local property owners. He was ultimately unsuccessful, but a number of people rather liked this strange and feisty guy.  

The neighborhood of Streeterville is named for him, and now contains some of the most expensive real estate in Chicago. 

Date: 05/23/20 13:01
Author: masterphots

2904 Wrote:
> If the southern portion of the state separated
> from Chicago it would be the poorest state in the
> union, below Mississippi. 

I was thinking the same thing.

Date: 05/23/20 14:37
Author: dispr

No doubt that Chicagoland would like to jettison the hill jacks south of I-80 since Chicagoland subsidizes them. Good riddance.

Also, when you say that Democrats have a supermajority in the legislature - Illinois has elected many Republican governors who immediately began the typical republican anti-working people, anti-environmental protection, anti-consumer protection - pro-corrupt business policies. No wonder Democrats have a majority.

Less we remember that neighboring states such as Indiana, Ohio  and Wisconsin have super majority republican control of their legislatures because republicans have gerrymandered legislative districts to favor republicans - generally, its the only way they can win.

Date: 05/23/20 15:04

Best government money can buy!

Posted from Android

Date: 05/23/20 16:48

irhoghead Wrote:

> You are correct, but strong feelings are stirred
> up when you mention Chicagoland to residents of
> most the rest of the state of Illinois, as you can
> see.

Neither my initial post, nor the webpage for which I provided a link, mentioned Chicago.

The same applies to eastern Washington state,
> which wants nothing to do with the people (and
> policies that are drafted) on the coast. There is
> a strong movement there as well to split that
> state. Urban life is a world removed from
> rural/farming life, and many would argue not for
> the better. The topic gets folks a bit worked up.

An urban/rural divide exists in much of the country.  As someone who lives in Pittsburgh's urban core, I feel there are too many false statements made about cities and the people who live in them and a lot of venom directed towards those who live in metropolitan areas.

Lastly circling back to trains, Illinois has been a national leader in state supported passenger rail service.  If high taxes are the rationale for succeeding from the rest of Illinois, it is difficult imagine any new state or states prioritizing funding for intrastate passenger rail service. 

Date: 05/23/20 18:18

Taxes are one price we all pay for living in a civilized society.  But a belief among many folks that tax money is being wasted on frivolous (to them) projects and outright theft doesn't encourage respect for the system.

Many hundred million dollars on a still unfinished rail improvement between Chicago and St Louis stands in contrast to significant and important improvements like CREATE, some of which has been completed and put into use.

Date: 05/24/20 07:27
Author: Trainatic

Yes, if your from the state and you see many billions spent on "high speed" and we run 79mph and we were promised at the very least 110mph then it was a huge waste of money. Current budget deficit for the next year is 7 billion. No wonder good tax paying folks are leaving the state in droves.
Joe

Date: 05/24/20 09:46
Author: goneon66

RuleG Wrote:
> irhoghead Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > You are correct, but strong feelings are
> stirred
> > up when you mention Chicagoland to residents of
> > most the rest of the state of Illinois, as you
> can
> > see.
>
> Neither my initial post, nor the webpage for which
> I provided a link, mentioned Chicago.
>
> The same applies to eastern Washington state,
> > which wants nothing to do with the people (and
> > policies that are drafted) on the coast. There
> is
> > a strong movement there as well to split that
> > state. Urban life is a world removed from
> > rural/farming life, and many would argue not
> for
> > the better. The topic gets folks a bit worked
> up.
>
> An urban/rural divide exists in much of the
> country.  As someone who lives in Pittsburgh's
> urban core, I feel there are too many false
> statements made about cities and the people who
> live in them and a lot of venom directed towards
> those who live in metropolitan areas.
>

so, does a simple web search of "are crime rates higher in metropolitan areas" yield venomous results?

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0733 seconds