Home Open Account Help 239 users online

Passenger Trains > The fastest Interurban?

Date: 05/22/20 15:12
The fastest Interurban?
Author: SAAP

Date: 05/22/20 17:57
Re: The fastest Interurban?
Author: steamloco

I'll put my money on the Red Devil's 80 years ago.

Date: 05/22/20 18:21
Author: PHall

There was some pretty fast "interurban" runs in the 1920's and 30's.

Date: 05/22/20 21:53
Author: wzd

Try the North Shore LIne Electroliner - 90-100 depending how much faith you had in the speedometer.

It really zipped along - and you could get an Electroburger in the tavern lounge, too.

Date: 05/23/20 06:37
Author: Electroliner

Amen to the Electroliner!  Before they hit the rails in 1941, the North Shore Line I believe won three or four annual passenger train speed awards in the 30's.  After that the recognition was discontinued.  The Galveston & Houston RR interurban also claimed 80 mph speeds on its runs between those two cities.

Date: 05/23/20 08:14
Author: colehour

Back in the '70s, I clocked a South Shore train at 90 out in the boonies of northern Indiana, and those were the old Insull era cars. I'm not sure if they typically ran that fast or if the engineman was just feeling like opening it up. 

Date: 05/24/20 11:21
Author: kevink

Of course, Texas Central plans speeds twice as fast...

Date: 05/24/20 18:51
Author: DNRY122

Back in 2013 I rode the South Shore for my first visit to the airport terminal.  I rode up front and clocked mileposts--we were doing 75 MPH at some locations.

Date: 05/24/20 19:30
Author: wabash2800

I am so glad I got to ride those old cars back in the early 80s. I could also see Chicago Land out the window including Rock Island, Illinois Central, etc., I liked the old conductors too. I rode last year and the conductor was a real ass. He didn't ask a friend and I too move for someone else but said" "MOVE!"

Victor A. Baird
http://.www.erstwhilepublications.com

colehour Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Back in the '70s, I clocked a South Shore train at
> 90 out in the boonies of northern Indiana, and
> those were the old Insull era cars. I'm not sure
> if they typically ran that fast or if the
> engineman was just feeling like opening it up. 

Date: 05/24/20 21:23
Author: justalurker66

DNRY122 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Back in 2013 I rode the South Shore for my first visit to the airport terminal.
>  I rode up front and clocked mileposts--we were doing 75 MPH at some locations.

79 is Maximum Authorized for most of the South Shore. There are several areas with speed restrictions for curves and towns.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.036 seconds