Home Open Account Help 275 users online

Passenger Trains > Ruby Canyon From the Window of a Train

Date: 05/31/20 05:16
Ruby Canyon From the Window of a Train
Author: bandob

Ruby Canyon is a roughly 25 mile long canyon on the Colorado River located on the Colorado-Utah border, and is a popular destination for rafting. The canyon takes its name from the red sandstone cliffs which line the canyon walls. My wife used her Ipad for photos.

B&OBill

Date: 05/31/20 06:24
Re: Ruby Canyon From the Window of a Train
Author: ats90mph

I had no idea this scenic stretch of railroad existed until I was on train 6, and it came out of nowhere. Because of its remoteness and inaccessibility, most magazines and rail forums underreport this amazing area...

Date: 05/31/20 06:37
Author: co614

Not too long ago I was riding through this extrodinary show of natures beauty in the Sightseer Lounge car. Every seat was taken and the majority were college age kids. I looked around the car at one point and 99% of them were buried in their smart phones with their thumbs busy typing out a message to someone and they had zero interest in this incredible scenery. 

Sad but true. Ross Rowland  

Date: 05/31/20 07:01
Author: march_hare

Ross

Sorry  to say that is a nationwide trend. A few years ago, Amtrak leased a VIA train set ( including a Park series dome car) for a few weeks to run on the Adirondack from Albany to Montreal. SUNY Plattsburgh students are a major part of the clientele that time of year. Most of them rode the entire Lake Champlain shoreline totally buried in screens. We might as well have been in New Kersey landfill country. How you can sit in a Budd dome and ignore scenery like that is beyond me. 

Date: 05/31/20 09:35
Author: co614

I know what you mean. It's one of the key reasons I have resisted getting a " smart" phone. I've also observed how addicted to hers my wife has become and I don't want that fate. 

Sad but true. Ross Rowland 

Date: 05/31/20 10:16
Author: railstiesballast

I use my smart phone on trips, mostly to take pictures, including these from a fall of 2018 trip on No. 6 along the Colorado through Ruby (may have been posted earlier here on TO).
Smart phones are fine if you just ignore facebook and twitter.
They are handy for the map function, weather forecast, and mail and phone (where you can get a signal that is) so I'm glad to have mine.
Those young people have adopted the concept of "multi tasking" so they probably think they are absorbing some of the scenery will keeping their primary focus on the social media.
Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Date: 05/31/20 15:56
Author: wabash2800

I hear you Ross but they are trying to pull us in that direction because everthing is going to need an "Ap". So far I have been able to do all the things I need on my  computer but eventually we might be worse than people writing checks in the supermarket check out line! 

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

co614 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know what you mean. It's one of the key reasons
> I have resisted getting a " smart" phone. I've
> also observed how addicted to hers my wife has
> become and I don't want that fate. 
>
>    Sad but true. Ross Rowland 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.3327 seconds