Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Passenger Trains > Montana Senators Lead Pushback Against Service Reductions

Date: 06/26/20 11:34
Montana Senators Lead Pushback Against Service Reductions
Author: 2904

Senators Tester (D) and Daines (R) of Montana both sent letters to Amtrak CEO Flynn this week opposing the proposed service reductions in FY21.  Daines' letter had six cosigners, while Tester's had three.  Bipartisan Congressional support of the national network will be critical to stopping these cuts, so this is a promising development.  Call and write your senators and house reps, the more they hear about this, the higher a priority it will become.

Daines' letter: https://www.daines.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Letter%20to%20Amtrak%20FY21%20PDF.pdf

Tester's letter: https://www.tester.senate.gov/files/Letters/2020-06-23%20Amtrak%20Supplemental%20Letter%20Final.pdf

Date: 06/26/20 11:53
Re: Montana Senators Lead Pushback Against Service Reductions
Author: joemvcnj

That's great. I especially like the "Tester letter", who lays it on the line that is it unacceptabe for LD to bare the brunt of it, and that is why they support Amtrak in general. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/20 11:53 by joemvcnj.

Date: 06/26/20 12:33
Author: Flyer92122

Let's hope 3-6 co-signers becomes 90. Until management is removed they will continue to sabotage the entire system.

Date: 06/26/20 15:59
Author: PRSL-recall

Montana "has their number" so-to-speak. They've already been down this road with ticket agents. Amtrak does not have them fooled which is a good thing. 

Date: 06/26/20 17:22
Author: ironmtn

PRSL-recall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Montana "has their number" so-to-speak. They've
> already been down this road with ticket agents.
> Amtrak does not have them fooled which is a good
> thing. 

And I am glad that they do. Of note: both of those Senators have an (R) behind their name. As these matters percolate up the political pipe, that tends to help in the present circumstance.. Maybe only a little. But some help is better than none. And a small amount can grow larger...

Date: 06/26/20 17:30

Senator Tester is Democrat.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/26/20 17:49
Author: ProAmtrak

This also like 2 years ago when Anderson tried to split The Chief, this seems like the same song and dance where most people in general aren't fooled by this excuse, especially with revenues climbing back on the sector Gardner claims is 'draing' them, the LD Trains!

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/20 14:48 by ProAmtrak.

Date: 06/26/20 18:43
Author: cchan006

Flyer92122 Wrote:
> Let's hope 3-6 co-signers becomes 90. Until
> management is removed they will continue to
> sabotage the entire system.

It all depends on how many managers within Amtrak still believe in the LD system, nevermind their knowledge on how costs are really allocated between NEC and LD trains. If you're calling for a coup, you need replacements who are ready.

I have little or no confidence that Congress can actually assist in that angle, to properly find the replacements. So let's just hope current management, and that's Mr. Flynn, will respect the LD trains for the time being and abandon the "tri-weekly" idea.

Date: 06/27/20 02:20
Author: NationalLimited16

The co-signers were both senators from North Dakota, New Mexico, and Nevada, and one of the two senators from West Virginia, Indiana, and Colorado. 

Date: 06/27/20 03:11

Make that both Montana Senators, each with their own letter.

Daines has a tough race to keep his seat with his opponent Governor Bullock.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/27/20 09:38
Author: BobB

joemvcnj Wrote:
> Make that both Montana Senators, each with their
> own letter.
>
> Daines has a tough race to keep his seat with his
> opponent Governor Bullock.
>
> Posted from Android

I think that these letters indicate that in Montana and similar places supporting the LD trains is essential politics whatever your party.  If Bullock beats Daines I would expect him to take the same position.  These are places where Amtrak provides the only real transportation for major portions of the state.

Date: 06/27/20 10:05
Author: ironmtn

joemvcnj Wrote:
> Senator Tester is Democrat.
>
> Posted from Android

You are absolutely correct. My bad - I knew better. And this is the case, perhaps the two letters are even better. Bipartisan support, often hoped for, sometimes disdained (though not by me), not so often achieved. A good sign in this case, I think.

Date: 06/27/20 14:49
Author: ProAmtrak

It is, watch this hit the fan like 2 years ago!

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0672 seconds