Home Open Account Help 271 users online

Passenger Trains > control-alt-delete

Date: 06/26/20 18:14
control-alt-delete
Author: rgzfan

I rode #3 from RAT to LSV and #4 back the same day. A few miles north of Springer, the train stopped and they made an announcement that they needed to fix the lococmotive. So I guess the on-board mechanic swapped out a fuel pump or a gasket or something, and then we started up again in 10 min or so.

On Thursday, that red veterans locomotive screwed me over. I've had a spotter working at ESS Springer so I can catch initial blade drop on signals from 706 to 717. But everything happened late yesterday. When I reviewed videos from several locations, none of the times made sense. Everything was about 9 minutes off. 

I told the spotter about it this am and she said, yes, it was slow from poles to creek, the waypoints she calls  out. And when she got back into Springer, she said, it sat for nearly ten minutes. There was no opposing traffic to warrant a stop.

So here's what I'm wondering. Do modern locomotives require a hard restart every now and then? I mean, what the H else could they be doing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/20 18:14 by dtoeppen.

Date: 06/26/20 18:23
Re: control-alt-delete
Author: BRAtkinson

From my own Amtrak riding experience, on  multiple ocassions, sometimes the computer(s) that control the locomotive need to be rebooted, just like your computer at home.

To paraphrase a classic movie line: "You know how to boot, don't you?  You just put your feet together and kick it!"

Date: 06/26/20 18:43
Author: ALCO630

Changing a fuel punp in the field in 10 minutes is rather unlikely.

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

Date: 06/26/20 18:44

I guess my sarcasm didn't survive the medium. :-)

LCO630 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Changing a fuel punp in the field in 10 minutes is
> rather unlikely.

Date: 06/26/20 18:47
Author: seaboardc30-7

Freight engines also need to be rebooted at times.

Date: 06/26/20 19:05
Author: barrydraper

Most of the computer problems are with the PTC which will often screw up.  But locomotive control computers can also get flaky.

Barry Draper

Date: 06/26/20 19:11

I think I prefer 1/8" copper wire, electromechanical relays, and semaphores rather than PTC. More reliable.

barrydraper Wrote:
> Most of the computer problems are with the PTC
> which will often screw up.  But locomotive
> control computers can also get flaky.
>
> Barry Draper

Date: 06/26/20 19:22
Author: OliveHeights

Might have been an engineer relief stop.

Date: 06/26/20 20:15
Author: cewherry

OliveHeights Wrote:
> Might have been an engineer relief stop.

On more than one occasion while without a qualified engineer with me in the cab, and after notifying the
dispatcher of my intentions I brought my train to a stop for a relief stop. Never did the DS say a word
or try to pressure me not to do so. Smart DS.

Charlie

Date: 06/26/20 20:24
Author: ble692

First step in troubleshooting on the UP from Mr Goodwrench almost always seems to be cycle the computer control circuit breaker if you are on an EMD or the BCCB breaker (battery charge circuit breaker) if you are on a GE.

Date: 06/26/20 20:33
Author: BigSkyBlue

La Junta-Albuquerque is more than 6 hours running time so 2 engineers are assigned to 3-4, and there is no PTC (yet) on the Raton Sub.  But, modern locomotives like P42 do require a control-alt-delete sometimes, often for no apparent reason.
Back when the WSS Wagon Mound had 3 semaphores and the road crossing at Bond St. was wigwag protected, I was examining that setup when the signal maintainer came by.  I asked him if they had any trouble with all this "old" stuff.  He replied, "No, this old stuff is the most reliable stuff we have".  BSB

Date: 06/27/20 18:38
Author: filmteknik

Does Delay-In-Block apply to visits to the powder room or do you stop in sight of the next signal?

Date: 06/27/20 20:01
Author: bruce_e

For what it's worth ...

On my trip on the Chief the summer of 2018, we had 2 (possibly 3 - can't remember for sure) unplanned stops due to the Positive Train Control computer. In each instance, the conductor came over the public address and said that they had to reset the computer.

If my memory serves, one stop was in New Mexico, close to where the passenger route rejoins the transcon. The other stop ws definitely on the long straightaway into Los Angeles before coming to the river. In each case, there was no other traffic near us. Just a glitch.

Date: 06/27/20 20:29

I hate computers.

bruce_e Wrote:
> For what it's worth ...
>
> On my trip on the Chief the summer of 2018, we had
> 2 (possibly 3 - can't remember for sure) unplanned
> stops due to the Positive Train Control computer.
> In each instance, the conductor came over the
> public address and said that they had to reset the
> computer.
>
> If my memory serves, one stop was in New Mexico,
> close to where the passenger route rejoins the
> transcon. The other stop ws definitely on the long
> straightaway into Los Angeles before coming to the
> river. In each case, there was no other traffic
> near us. Just a glitch.

Date: 06/27/20 20:55
Author: clem

dtoeppen Wrote:

> Do modern locomotives require a hard restart every now and then?

Not only locomitives. Boeing 787s need reboots too.
https://www.theregister.com/2020/04/02/boeing_787_power_cycle_51_days_stale_data/

Date: 06/27/20 21:03

Damn!

clem Wrote:
> dtoeppen Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > Do modern locomotives require a hard restart
> every now and then?
>
> Not only locomitives. Boeing 787s need reboots
> too.
> https://www.theregister.com/2020/04/02/boeing_787_
> power_cycle_51_days_stale_data/

Date: 06/29/20 10:36
Author: RutledgeRadio

Another thing that can happen (which may also be computer related) is the HEP will go down in the locomotive that's supplying it. This happened to me once while riding the Zephyr, in approach to Moffat Tunnel in Colorado. The train had to stop and HEP was cut off and back on, and the train continued after about a 10 minute or so delay.

Date: 06/29/20 13:40
Author: randgust

Amtrak also apparently ran into two different PTC systems between Metro-North territory and CSX requiring full stops and reboots somewhere near Schenectady when running the Lake Shore, my son ran into that last summer where they sat for 25 minutes due to 'computer issues requiring a reboot'.  He's a software engineer so he was mildly amused.   Later found out that was some kind of PTC boundary between systems - may have been resolved, but remember there is no nationwide common PTC system either.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0644 seconds