Home Open Account Help 231 users online

Passenger Trains > San Luis Obispo, 50yrs Later

Date: 06/29/20 20:40
San Luis Obispo, 50yrs Later
Author: BoilingMan

I graduated from High School 50yrs ago- Bishop Garcia Diego Catholic High, Class of '70, Santa Barbara.  If you've followed some of my exploits here on TO, some of them involved an old friend from BGDHS, Deb Kay.  She was along when I struck out into the desert in search of the Epson Salt Monorail, and before that, fresh out of HS, we hopped an SP freight one night out of Santa Barbara to SLO (seriously short of cash, we stole away on a Greyhound bus to get home- a story in itself). 
Deb text me this morning- she was on board #11 out of San Jose.  By pure coincidence, I'm aboard #14.
So as our trains passed in SLO, we popped open the windows for a quick pic in honor of that freight ride in this same spot so many years ago... 
Hey Deb, look'n good!
SR

Date: 06/29/20 20:54
Re: San Luis Obispo, 50yrs Later
Author: trainjunkie

Ha! That's pretty darned cool.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/20 20:54 by trainjunkie.

Date: 06/29/20 21:07
Author: GoldenState

Pretty cool!
As I type, she just left Glendale toward LAUPT and you just passed Newark where I was a half hour ago swimming at my inlaws. They are roughly five houses off MP 28 on the Mini Coast.
Rob
Fremont, CA
CP FO30

Date: 06/29/20 21:12

Yes, we’re on the Mulford. I’m off at Oakland (on #6 tomorrow), and Deb was off at Santa Barbara.
SR

Date: 06/29/20 21:26
Author: chrisparker

Great Story. Fun Stuff.

Glad your back posting.

Chris

Posted from Android

Date: 06/29/20 22:09
Author: mundo

A small world indeed

Date: 06/29/20 23:34

chrisparker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great Story. Fun Stuff.
>
> Glad your back posting.
>
> Chris
>
> Posted from Android

I’m returning home from my crewing to return a catamaran from Loreto, BCS to Sa Pedro- a 1200mi passage. It took us 26 days. (They call it The Bash)
I’m dropping of my camera in Sacramento to be cleaned and serviced, so I’m not sure how quickly I’ll get back up to speed w/o my trusty Canon- but then again, I have the drone...
SR

Date: 06/30/20 09:29
Author: Arkeytek

I can attest to that, north along the west cost can be a long slog. The only time - really, the only time - I have been seasick was after the Newport-Ensenada race, four of us remained on board to return the sloop to San Diego. Leaving after dinner, we immediately hit a 7- to 9-foot quartering sea and 20 knots of wind. After taking the first shift at the helm, I went below and within 15 minutes had to return to deck and you-know-what (I wasn't the only one). The only thing that saved me was to wrestle the 8-foot destroyer wheel from the helmsman, look steadily ahead and steer that 55-footer all night into San Diego harbor. 

By the way, I went to college in San Luis Obispo. One summer well after graduating, my wife, daughter (six at the time) and I were on 14, and my mom - who lived in Avila Beach - came by to say hello. The attendant was extremely accommodating and let mom see the family room were in. Then 11 came in between us and the station. The attendant pounded on the vestibule door of one of 11's superliner nearest us and let my mom "escape" though 11 to the station.  

Date: 06/30/20 09:56
Author: wjpyper

Wow! That was great. I lived in SLO from 1975 to 2007 and railfanned at the station freguently. It wasn't that often that 11 and 14 got there at the same time. Usually one or the other got delayed somewhere.
Bill Pyper
Lacey, WA

Date: 06/30/20 10:34
Author: Exespee

Nice bit of history.  I first stayed at the Park Hotel on Osos street in 1945 when I went firing for the SP
and was on the SLO extra board.   Gotcha by 25 years!

Date: 06/30/20 10:40

By 25yrs?!
Jeez. I feel younger already!
SR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0474 seconds