Home Open Account Help 381 users online

Passenger Trains > Branson Scenic Railway Trip Report

Date: 06/29/20 17:45
Branson Scenic Railway Trip Report
Author: andersonb109

On my recent Route 66 drive from Joliet to Albuquerque, I took a 30 minute side trip from Springfield, MO to Branson to ride the Branson Scenic Railway. They had just resumed operations a few days prior to my arrival. The trip gained me 20 new rail miles but one word of caution for mileage collectors. They operate over two different routes. Ours was 20 miles to the south on tracks of the Missouri and Northern Arkansas Railroad on which they have access. This is the route that our conductor said they use most of the time. Only if there is freight congestion do they go northbound for the same distance on the same railway, and normally don't know the route they will take until 15 minutes prior to departure. The railroad owns lots of historic equipment. Our consist was as follows:

F9PH 98 formerly B&O/MARC.
Dome Coach Silver Island from CB&Q Twin Cities Zerphyr
Dome Lounge Silver Terrace from CB&Q  Kansas City Zerphyr/Amtrak
Cafe Lounge Silver Lake, formerly PRR/Amtrak Casimir Pulaski.
Dome Lounge Silver Garden from CB&Q Kansas City Zerphyr
Lounge Westport from ACL Champion
Diner Silver Chef from CB&Q Denver Zephyr...complete with original etched glass. This car is used for the weekly dinner train
Coach Silver Eagle from the T&P
Since there is no turning facility, a power car and GP30 No. 99 were at the other end of the train.

The load appeared to be good using about half capacity for social distancing  reasons. No seats were blocked. out. Rather passengers seemed to use good sense and sit away from others not in their groups. Dome seats were fist come first serve by boarding number based on when tickets were purchased. Crews all wore masks but they weren't required on passengers. They were a personal choice and being in Missouri, few did. The ride isn't all that scenic. Mostly treed in. Two long tunnels and a long curved trestle at the train's end point being the highlights. Photos follow.

Date: 06/29/20 17:48
Re: Branson Scenic Railway Trip Report

A few more including the afternoon train returning to Branson. The train ride is recommended and enjoyable. And worth it to add some rare mileage to the list.  Branson itself appears to be a bit of a tourst trap with many other activities for non rail fan guests. I stayed at one of two Hilton properties both adjacent to the railway station near the river in town. Thanks for looking.

Date: 06/29/20 18:56
Author: PHall

So how are you feeling after your trip to Branson? There has been a large outbreak of COVAD-19 there in the past few days.

Date: 06/29/20 20:20
Author: krm152

An excellent photo series of the Branson Scenic.
Thanks much for your posting.
ALLEN 

Date: 06/30/20 00:04
Author: mp51w

The dome glass is spotless!

Date: 06/30/20 03:12

Feeling fine and it will be two weeks Friday that I was there. Thanks for asking. If the trend follows, outbreaks are probably do to younger people doing stupid things like overcrowding bars. I only did the train ride and had dinner at the upscale Level 2 restaurant at the Hilton. Of course some would rather hide in their homes until this is over. And force the same on others. 

Date: 06/30/20 06:53
Author: co614

Thanks for the trip report and photos. With all due respect you might want to throttle back your attitude regarding the danger the Covid 19 pandemic poses to all those with pre-existing medical conditions ( obesity, hyper tension, diabetes ,asthma etc.) or are age 60 or older as the mortality rate in these folks is very scary. A number of high profile figures who publicly shared your opinion have contracted the disease and 2 have died from it. 

Until we ALL adopt the CDC guidelines of the 3 w's ( Wear a mask at ALL times when in public regardless of setting, wash you hands frequently and well and watch you distance from others at all times ) the disease will continue to wreck havoc and elongate our struggle with it. 

Just common sense. IMHO-Ross Rowland 

Date: 06/30/20 08:30
Author: cabsignaldrop

Thanks for the trip report. Those are some beautiful cars!

Posted from Android

Date: 06/30/20 08:56
Author: retcsxcfm

co614 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the trip report and photos. With all
> due respect you might want to throttle back your
> attitude regarding the danger the Covid 19
> pandemic poses to all those with pre-existing
> medical conditions ( obesity, hyper tension,
> diabetes ,asthma etc.) or are age 60 or older as
> the mortality rate in these folks is very scary. A
> number of high profile figures who publicly shared
> your opinion have contracted the disease and 2
> have died from it. 
>
>    Until we ALL adopt the CDC guidelines of the
> 3 w's ( Wear a mask at ALL times when in public
> regardless of setting, wash you hands frequently
> and well and watch you distance from others at all
> times ) the disease will continue to wreck havoc
> and elongate our struggle with it. 
>
>    Just common sense. IMHO-Ross Rowland 
I for one agree with you.If the idiots out there want an early death
let them keep on.
Uncle Joe
Seffner,Fl.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0684 seconds