Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Passenger Trains > Semaphores in transition

Date: 07/05/20 16:14
Semaphores in transition
Author: highgreengraphics

Amtrak No. 3 Southwest Chief whooshes through signals in transition at West Colmor, NM Milepost 710 on June 26, 2020. === === = === JLH

Date: 07/05/20 16:37
Re: Semaphores in transition
Author: Passfanatic

Very nice shot! I have ridden the SW Chief a few times-once from LA to CHI and the other time from LA-ABQ and the landscape in New Mexico is very pretty.

Date: 07/06/20 17:45
Author: Contax645

Nice view from WSS Colmor sir! Here's the intermediates just west of there on June 17. Hate seeing these classics go...

Gary
Griffith, Indiana

Date: 07/07/20 08:55

Naah, I just used the Toeppen filter. I was actually happy about the muffled sun - usually with the relentless sunshine that seems normal, one does not have the option to shoot that other side at the time of day that No. 3 slides on through. I find a stepladder to be very handy to see up and over things (that new signal bungalow in this case), and tracks fan out below you in a more pleasant fashion instead of being just on a semi-flat plane. It is also necessary to see that third semaphore in a grouping in its entirety above the train (not necessary in this view from this side, but very necessary from the other side). For transport, if my vehicle is set up to sleep in, the 6-foot ladder simply takes my place during the daytime, and I slide it in and out to use it. === === = === JLH

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/20 09:03 by highgreengraphics.

Date: 07/07/20 13:28

Can happen. Always try to go where the grass is growing, it's more solid. Try many repositionings until you find a solid spot. At times you have to dig it in on one side if it is crooked, most times I just use/abuse the heels on my shoes, but a couple of times I have used a shovel to really dig it in on a hillside. When you think you have it set up, on a lower step always do a test jumping and leaning at all angles in case the ground is soft, before the critical photo time. === === = === JLH

Date: 07/07/20 15:07
Author: PHall

A 3 x 3 foot piece of 1/4 inch plywood makes a wonderful step ladder base in loose soil.

Date: 07/07/20 15:25

Yes, I have tried that, lots to carry. Worst thing about that, it's too flat, if there is any plant life it tends to make the plywood unstable, and increases the setup time over what it would be by just repositioning the ladder. If there is stuff laying around, I will use it if time allows. Best thing I have found are shoes that fit on the ladder legs that spread the weight farther, but again more to carry around and increases setup time, then the ladder won't store right either without removing the shoes. So I just go with repositioning and doing the jumping/rocking test. === === = === JLH

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0414 seconds