Home Open Account Help 305 users online

Passenger Trains > NJ: Portal Bridge rebuild clears a major hurdle

Date: 07/28/20 06:53
NJ: Portal Bridge rebuild clears a major hurdle
Author: Lackawanna484

NJ Transit's board approved the deal, Amtrak previously approved the deal.  FTA approved the priority level.

NJ.com has the details

Date: 07/28/20 09:55
Re: NJ: Portal Bridge rebuild clears a major hurdle
Author: rbenko

Something in the article confused me - there was a quote saying that the replacement will not increase capacity.  Isn't the plan to replace it with a four-track bridge?  Some Gateway plans I saw had eventually six tracks going over the river - four new ones with greater clearance over the water, and a replacement for the current two-track swing bridge.

Anyone know what the current plan is?

Date: 07/28/20 10:24
Author: joemvcnj

There are plans for two 2-track spans. 

Blathering about MLV cars increasing capacity instead is a distraction from the quoted fired LIRR manager, who is opposed to just about everything Gateway-related, and unwelcome at any NJT, MTA, or Port Authority hearing due to incompetence and attitude. 

Date: 07/29/20 07:00
Author: choodude

rbenko Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Something in the article confused me - there was a quote saying that the replacement will not increase capacity.  Isn't the plan to replace it with a four-track bridge?  Some Gateway plans I saw had eventually six tracks going over the river - four new ones with greater clearance over the water, and a replacement for the current two-track swing bridge.
>
> Anyone know what the current plan is?

The current approval is for a 2 track bridge to directly replace the over a century old Portal bridge. 

The additional bridges are part of the separate Gateway Project proposals which have unfortunately sunk into the morass that is USA politics these days.

Brian

Date: 07/29/20 09:59
Author: rbenko

choodude Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The current approval is for a 2 track bridge to
> directly replace the over a century old Portal
> bridge. 

Seems like a missed opportunity - so basically there's little to no chance of increasing capacity over the river before 2030 at the earliest - <sigh>

Yes, I realize that there is still the two-track North River tunnel bottleneck - however, even with nothing else being built, having four tracks over the Hackensack would mean that Penn Station bound Midtown-Direct trains coming onto the NEC at Swift would not have to compete with NEC trains to get into Secaucus Transfer, and eastbound M-D trains could get 'out of the way' of NEC trains at Secaucus.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0429 seconds