Home Open Account Help 262 users online

Passenger Trains > Trip Report #49

Date: 07/30/20 10:10
Trip Report #49
Author: co614

First leg of my Syracuse-Lamy NM trip went well. Left Syracuse about45" late last night, arrived CUS about 1'10" late this morning. In my sleeper there were 3 roomettes occupied, no bedrooms, in the 2nd. sleeper 4 roomettes and 1 bedroom. Coach seemed to have a pretty decent load based upon the unloading crowd in Chicago. 

B'fast in the nice new dining car was ok. Coffee, b'fast sandwich and water. Better than nothing. 

Masks at all times policy being strictly observed and enforced.

Hope our next leg on # 3 goes as well. More soon.

Ross Rowland 

Date: 07/30/20 10:24
Re: Trip Report #49
Author: MP403

Safe travels, Ross.

Date: 07/30/20 12:14
Author: ClubCar

Thanks for the update Ross and stay safe and well.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 07/30/20 16:25
Author: another_view

So, why are the wasting the time and effort to run two sleepers with that few passengers?

Date: 07/30/20 19:47
Author: SCAX3401

another_view Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, why are the wasting the time and effort to run
> two sleepers with that few passengers?

I am guess one from New York City and one from Boston since the train is split east of the Albany area.

Date: 07/30/20 19:48
Author: ProAmtrak

another_view Wrote:

Boy View do you ever have anything positive to say?

Posted from Android

Date: 07/31/20 07:22
Author: sums007

another_view Wrote:

Is that the so-called "executive we", as in leadership at Amtrak?  

Date: 07/31/20 08:23

On board # 3 just leaving Trinidad, Co. rght on time. So far so good. Actually # 49 carries a total of 3 sleeprs. 1 out of Boston and 2 out of NY. As I reported the 2 NY sleepers were very light. 

More soon. Ross Rowland

Date: 07/31/20 10:02
Author: howeld

Here you are Ross.  My son took video. 

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 07/31/20 12:39
Author: RRBMail

howeld Wrote:
> Here you are Ross.  My son took video. 

May I suggest that you buy a lightweight tripod with a bubble level so your son can spend his time composing the image instead of trying to keep his camera steady, up right and free of intrusion of others? I am not trying to be snarky here, I was 12 when I learned these important elements. 

Date: 07/31/20 12:57
Author: PlyWoody

Will that be the last we see of Amtrak on jointed rail?  Hey, Ross, take a photo of the wye at Lamy and show us if the 2926 will ever turn on that wye.  Will they lay new rail (used welded) on the Lamy to Santa Fe branch and get the 4-8-4 into town and set up a service from Santa Fe to Las Vegas (French) and return.  

Date: 07/31/20 14:33
Author: symph1

Might have a little troubl using the Lamy wye. This is 6 years old, but I doubt anyone replaced it.

Date: 07/31/20 16:44
Author: Trainatic

Thank you for the trip report. I am glad there are still some folks traveling by train as I have been wanting to take a trip on the Builder. I'm glad not everyone is staying locked in their homes (that aren't vulnerable and high risk)and are getting out to help the economy out. I'm in La Plata railfanning for the weekend and supporting local businesses.
Joe

Date: 07/31/20 19:44
Author: jp1822

Couple of questions if anyone has first hand experience:

- So are you allowed to sit in the Viewliner Diner (aka Sleeper Lounge) on train #49 for breakfast, as long as you have your mask on (course take mask off when eating....). Or is it grab and go - grab you food and go back to your room with your food and enjoy there. 

- On the Southwest Chief can you sit in the Sightseer Lounge car, with mask on, or is that a no-no?

- I presume on the Southwest Chief there's no sitting in the Diner Car - just grab your dinner and go (if a sleeper passenger), or you have room service?

- I guess my main question is - how confined are you to your sleeper compartment during single level LD train set trip (east of the Mississippi) and then on the Superliner train set trip (west of the Mississippi)?

I really don't mind, but I'd rather have a heads up on what to expect presently than hit a surprise. The one bulletin I read said, no one is allowed in the diner, only like two Amtrak employees who give sleeper passengers their meals. But wouldn't it almost be better to just have it delivered to your room if that's the case. Then just curious if the Sightseer Lounge is even an option on upper level. It is advertise that you can purchase stock from the lower level cafe...........

I MAY be on the Empire Builder, Capitol Limited, and Lake Shore this month, but it's also looking more and more remote at this point too!!!!

Date: 08/02/20 09:39

Yes, you're allowed to take your meals in the dining car or your room if in sleepers. All passengers can use the cafe on the lower level of the Sightseer Lounge car. All transactions are with credit/debit card, no cash. 

Trains I've been on recently are very light in sleepers and about 1/3 rd. full in coach. If you're going for more than 1 day suggest you pack your own food as the dining car food is very poor.

Face mask must be worn at all times except in your room with the door closed if you're in sleeper. 

Ross Rowland

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0532 seconds