Home Open Account Help 350 users online

Passenger Trains > Dining on a late 97(10)

Date: 09/11/20 15:58
Dining on a late 97(10)
Author: RevRandy

I know some are nostalgic for the old dining cars;
some want freshly cooked meals;
some don't like this or that ingredient.

Have heard it all so no need to repeat, please.

Instead of comparing it to anything else, I am simply enjoying this meal of Shrimp in lobster sauce with rice and vegetables. Very tasty.

Date: 09/11/20 16:15
Re: Dining on a late 97(10)
Author: jp1822

Nice! Making the best of things! Good for you! Do they not allow eating in the Sleeper Lounge? Must eat in your room? Have heard different reports on some of the Western Long Distance trains.....

Date: 09/11/20 16:27
Author: JimVB

And did you select this in advance?

Posted from Android

Date: 09/11/20 16:30
Author: railcity

Looks good too me.

Date: 09/11/20 16:37
Author: co614

I had that dish recently on # 4. Sadly mine was WAY over cooked ( killed really) and the OBS lady said it was her last one. Hope yours was better prepared. 

I'm booked on 97/92 in a couple weeks to do a Trenton-DelRay Beach quick roundtrip. It will be my first exposure to the Silver Starvation's food offerings. 

Hope springs eternal. Ross Rowland 

Date: 09/11/20 16:49
Author: wabash2800

Looks like a "Healthy Choice" TV dinner in its plastic plate with the saran wrap pulled off...

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 09/11/20 20:40

jp1822 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice! Making the best of things! Good for you! Do
> they not allow eating in the Sleeper Lounge? Must
> eat in your room? Have heard different reports on
> some of the Western Long Distance trains.....

Could have eaten in sleeper lounge but as a recently discharged from quarantine COVID patient I wanted my safety.

Date: 09/11/20 20:55
Author: Ocala1

I appreciate your positive attitude, your interest in traveling by train, and most of all, your recovery from COVID.

Date: 09/12/20 08:53
Author: wilewil

RevRandy Wrote:

> Instead of comparing it to anything else, I am
> simply enjoying this meal of Shrimp in lobster
> sauce with rice and vegetables. Very tasty.

And that's what matters.

Date: 09/12/20 09:33

When my lunch order was asked for, mid-morning on the second day (they were asking those who had missed dinner because of the delay first so we could have first dibs on what was available) I asked to also reserve the one remaining shrimp dish for dinner since I had not had the chance to eat it the night before. That request was immediately relayed to the sleeper louinge attendant who set it aside.  All on-board service staff were very accommodating and pleasant despite their work day being 5 hours longer.

JimVB Wrote:
> And did you select this in advance?
>
> Posted from Android

Date: 09/12/20 10:17
Author: ghCBNS

That meal and presentation looks perfectly fine to me and in fact looks better than some of the supposedly cooked-from-scratch meals I've had on LD trains over the years!

Date: 09/12/20 20:51
Author: amtrak34east

I just cancelled a 2 week "dream trip" because: A: I didn't want to be in "Jail" for 12 days(stuck in my bedroom since I'd have to wear a mask everywhere else on the train, stations, ect), and B: These pre-prepared meals are not only obsured, but not healthy for the passengers over a long period of time. Bring back the dining car now, at least the menu there was at least food that was cooked fresh, instead of this BS Flexible Dining pre-prepared BS. Thats all I got to say. 

Date: 09/13/20 06:21

Sorry you will miss a chance to really see America and experience some great railroading all over a mask and some food.  I have different priorities.

amtrak34east Wrote:
> I just cancelled a 2 week "dream trip" because: A:
> I didn't want to be in "Jail" for 12 days(stuck in
> my bedroom since I'd have to wear a mask
> everywhere else on the train, stations, ect), and
> B: These pre-prepared meals are not only obsured,
> but not healthy for the passengers over a long
> period of time. Bring back the dining car now, at
> least the menu there was at least food that was
> cooked fresh, instead of this BS Flexible Dining
> pre-prepared BS. Thats all I got to say. 

Date: 09/13/20 14:19
Author: dpudave

I'm sorry Rev. While I respect your opinion and value your many offerings here on T O, that photo brought to mind the expression "a dog's breakfast." You say it tasted good, and I hope it did. but it's a diaster visually. And that counts, too. I hope I'm not being a food snob. d

Date: 09/14/20 17:14

Evidently you are used to eating elsewhere from most travelers - Randy' pic looks very much like it was from any of the national "fast casual" chains, although I thought the salad looked better.

Would I rather have the steak cooked over wood (PrestoLogs or charcoal) from the late RR era or early Amtrak, you bet.  But I wouldn't say that meal is close to bad enough to not go where I want.

Date: 09/14/20 18:29
Author: 41bridge

I see stainless flatware. Was it provided by you? I’m guessing Amtrak probably issues plastic.

Date: 09/15/20 08:05

41bridge Wrote:
> I see stainless flatware. Was it provided by you?
> I’m guessing Amtrak probably issues plastic.

Why would you guess that?  I've often had meals in my room (wife can't do stairs) and always had SS flatware like that.

I could see plastic now though, to reduce washing.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0583 seconds